Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Survey on "DEAD" Disco's

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010 | 09:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

Anyone out there experiencing one they want to bail out on?
Read the for sale forum.

Last edited by David A; 08-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2010 | 01:18 PM
5th Gear

I bought a '99 disco ii about a year ago. I have spent over $5k on it since then. I paid, which sounds like I got fleeced) $8k for it. So now I have $13k invested in a POS that is now overheating. The truck looked great - perfect interior, wonderful exterior and clean engine bay. I t ran great for the first two months and then all hell broke loose.

Old 08-16-2010 | 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default welcome

Originally Posted by brihite
I bought a '99 disco ii about a year ago. I have spent over $5k on it since then. I paid, which sounds like I got fleeced) $8k for it. So now I have $13k invested in a POS that is now overheating. The truck looked great - perfect interior, wonderful exterior and clean engine bay. I t ran great for the first two months and then all hell broke loose.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Land Rover ownership....

I was in my friends LR shop today and low and behold 3 discos...headgaskets and oil pressure....we both just laughed...

Old 08-16-2010 | 09:37 PM
|
Baja
Default Wow

Originally Posted by brihite

For about that same amount (actually 15,000) I bought both a Porsche 928 and a Benz 420SEL that each had right at 60K on them. It was a few years before they got expensive and I got rid of them.

Bought my 97 DI with approx 100k on it over 3 years ago for $6,000, most of my cost has been normal replacement items like brakes, plug wires, shocks and springs. So I can't complain.

Lots of aggravating little rust areas, but nothing major there either.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-17-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2010 | 10:28 PM
|
Baja

I looked at the classified listings on here. What I saw basically was the ones that were priced right sold quickly. And , as usual, they were some that were asking way too much.........

And VanDev, asking 15 grand after you fix it..........What you been smoking man????????????

No matter what, these are just British Farm Trucks, not true luxury vehicles. Just a pig wearing a Prom Dress.

Old 08-17-2010 | 11:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default smoking?

I looked at the classified listings on here. What I saw basically was the ones that were priced right sold quickly. And , as usual, they were some that were asking way too much.........

And VanDev, asking 15 grand after you fix it..........What you been smoking man????????????

No matter what, these are just British Farm Trucks, not true luxury vehicles. Just a pig wearing a Prom Dress.
I dont know but it must of been pure herion when i thought it would be a great idea to buy a DII...... and yes...pig .......but i live in miami and the going rate for a 2003-2004 with 80k or under is 14k....mine will have 0 miles, transfercase has 23k on it rebuiling steering box and pump , cooloing system and new raditor all hoses and oil lines... and completly fresh engine....orther wise i will roll it in a canal and collect isurance and still come out way ahead.....

Old 08-18-2010 | 07:38 AM
Winching

Quote of the day.

________
******* Public

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2010 | 12:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vandev
I dont know but it must of been pure herion when i thought it would be a great idea to buy a DII...... and yes...pig .......but i live in miami and the going rate for a 2003-2004 with 80k or under is 14k....mine will have 0 miles, transfercase has 23k on it rebuiling steering box and pump , cooloing system and new raditor all hoses and oil lines... and completly fresh engine....orther wise i will roll it in a canal and collect isurance and still come out way ahead.....

No, it will still have just as many miles as it had before you rebuilt the engine. The rebuilt engine will have 0 miles, that is all. Unless of course you have replaced every part on the truck at the same time... THEN it would have 0 miles....

Old 08-18-2010 | 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default correct

Originally Posted by Robmcin
No, it will still have just as many miles as it had before you rebuilt the engine. The rebuilt engine will have 0 miles, that is all. Unless of course you have replaced every part on the truck at the same time... THEN it would have 0 miles....

Corerect,,as it looks as if the block , crank, rods and pistons will survive. everything else is going. I would take a block that has gone over a 100k before a lower milage block as it has a better chance not to grenade....unless you buy a Turner or RPI which they also recycle, it will be better than new...

Old 08-18-2010 | 10:45 PM
|
Baja

Originally Posted by vandev

2003-2004 DII's around Pittsburgh can be had these days for 5 grand. And like someone else said, unless you replace everything, all that stuff still has the wear and tear on it.

For less than 15 grand, there are some pretty impressive newer Rovers available all day long. But I guess Miami is it's own little world.

I saw a 03/04 DII the other day tha6t some idiot had put 22's and low profile tires on. He was asking 12 for it, but I just shook my head and went on, what a shame to see 22 inch gold rims and low profile tires on a Rover. Or anything else in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Survey on "DEAD" Disco's