Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension "bang" on the front end.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

There is a good video by Atlantic British on replacing the the shocks and springs. Shows exactly what The Deputy describes.

https://www.roverparts.com/resources...-discovery-ii/

Last edited by Dave03S; 08-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you Brian. That’s a good rundown.
Of course I’ll be using seafoam or punkbuster.
Not doing the shocks at the same time, they’ve got maybe 15,000 km on them. But I suspect the fronts will need doing, the dead springs will have been hard on them. Unfortunately counting my pennies at the moment.
I’ll try and remember to shoot anything that goes wrong when I’m doing it - keep adding to the knowledge base!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Winching

And I did buy new (front) isolators. Does that mean removing the shock tower? I haven’t seen anything about them specifically.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Isolators sit on top of the spring(s) and you will understand more...once you pull old springs out. The shock tower has to be removed to get the shock out of the way.

You bring up a good point though, while installing springs...be certain to get the insolators centered correctly in the upper mounting perch/rest. It is easy to get them cockeyed/crooked...throwing off ride height.

Truth be told...my old shocks weren't in bad shape and worked fine (on my 01) and they had been bottoming out for some time (springs, wasted). But, l was putting in a lift kit....so new longer shocks were necessary. And, even though this would be the prefect time to do them...they can be done easily later...when you are flushed with bucks. However, ever since buying these two rovers...l'm still waiting for that day myself...lol.

Good luck, with the project. Just go slow and think everything through...and ask questions along the way, if need be.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-30-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Winching

Oh boy. This is being a lot harder than it looks.
Par for the course, I know. But still...
Driver side is completely disassembled. Having a hard time getting it together with the new parts.
One, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the shock tower out. It's loose in there, but to pull it out it has to clear an AC line on one side and the exposed metal brake lines on the other. Neither are the type of lines I want to bend, abrade or abuse.
And the second is getting the spring in. Seems like there's still two or three inches needed to clear even with the axle fully extend (to the point where the front driveshaft hits the crossmember right under it).
Should I be contemplating either compressing the spring somehow (ratchets?) or using a bottle jack to lower it further (but what about that cross member?). I'm thinking of putting a jack stand under the right side of the shaft so it can't lower farther and a bottle jack on the left somewhere to see if I can induce some twist? Sounds a bit frightening to be honest.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:22 PM
Winching

Btw. Just stock springs. No lift.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:34 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Yes you can use the bottle jack to raise the body while you drop the jack under the axle for maximum decompression of the spring. The AB video shows it clearly.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 PM
Winching

Dave: but what about the prop shaft hitting that cross member? Any chance I'll wreck anything in there? Does the front axle twist in any direction?
Admittedly I missed that in the video, will look for that bit.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Winching

But it does make me wish I'd bought new towers.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Winching

Opinions: on a scale of genius to finger loosing bat**** foolish...?

Quick Reply: Suspension "bang" on the front end.