Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension, lifts, and displacement cones

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 09:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension, lifts, and displacement cones

Hey all,

So, I come from the Jeep world. My Disco II is my first Land Rover, and my first radius arm style suspension.

I'm going to do some suspension work. I was originally considering a 2" lift, but I have 100k miles on my front drive shaft, and my front show towers are shot, so I could just go with 4" kit from Terrafirma and solve several problems with one proverbial stone. Not really looking for advice on that, but I'm still open to recommendations.

What I'm curious about is displacement (relocation?) cones. I'd like to get some gnarly articulation, and one up my Jeep buddies on the trails/rocks/ramps. I think the cones allow you to droop your suspension to the point that you would lose your springs, but instead they stay put seems awesome, but I can't find a lot of info about them online.

How do the cones work? What other stuff do I need to get the most out of them? Longer travel shocks? Limiting straps? Some other fancy gadget born on brutal trails of the Outback, or high desert? Lol

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2024, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've ran 2" in the past with 32" tires without replacing anything in the drive train or body. 2" is perfect for half daily have wheeling application as you aren't super tippy on the highway but still get a significant amount of suspension travel.

If you decide to go with 4" I'd highly advise (basically required) getting longer break lines, corrected trailing arms (others can pitch in on this), new driveshafts and limit straps. There are likely more you'd have to, I don't have complete knowledge of larger lifts.

Cones work the way you mentioned. As far as finding more information, check out Dirt Lifestyle. He has a modified Jeep and a D2 so likely right up your alley!

Again I am not an expert, so don't trust me as your only source.

The following users liked this post:
TheLastOne (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:23 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

@TheLastOne To to 4 inches you have a ton of work to do:
  1. Custom front and rear drive shafts
  2. extended brake lines - stain steel are best
  3. extended abs sensor wiring
  4. corrected radius arms front and rear
  5. correct panhard bar - your rear tire will be off center
  6. extended shocks and spring -designed to lift the truck 4 inches - they are going to hard and stiff
  7. upgraded sway bars - these truck are high to start you do not want to ignore this
There maybe more like but nothing that jumps to mind, but personally at the 1.5 (2in) you get with the small lift and 18 inch tires you and go pretty much anywhere, unless you plan on building a rock crawler, and that is out of my wheelhouse.
In my experience terrafirma springs do not hold up,they sag after a couple of years

I am on the 2in and 16's

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
Discorama (02-07-2024), RoverJess03 (03-16-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:37 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't say I'm building a rock crawler, but I want it to be more than a trail truck. Given the shorter wheel base I don't think I need 37's like my Gladiator did, 33's would likely be sufficient, but a locker is definately in order.

The Terrafirma 4" comes with much of that. But honestly, I'm more interested in articulation than ride height, so maybe less lift with more time/money spent on that.

I saw shorter front shock towers too, which is new concept to me as well. Seems like that would lower your shock, there by increasing downward articulation at the cost of upward travel?

Old 02-07-2024, 01:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

I run a 2ish inch lift with skinny 33s and I've never felt like I need more. I've followed new broncos and built GXs with my setup with only TC and a center locker and will often be pulling them out LOL. I'm locked front and rear as well now and the only thing I'd change is going to longer travel shocks for more down travel. If you're not planning to rock crawl much, doing 32s and a 2" lift should be plenty for most situations and will keep the truck pretty decent to drive too. The 100" wheelbase on the disco lends itself pretty well to most things I've encountered here in CA and around AZ/NV/UT where I spent most of my time off road. I find myself doing a lot more "overland" type stuff these days though than rock gardens and that sort of thing but I wouldn't hesitate to do those things still. I just have to me mindful of the weight of the RTT up top. Keeping the lift minimal keeps the CG lower but its already tall to begin with.

Old 02-07-2024, 01:49 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by andino
I run a 2ish inch lift with skinny 33s and I've never felt like I need more. I've followed new broncos and built GXs with my setup with only TC and a center locker and will often be pulling them out LOL. I'm locked front and rear as well now and the only thing I'd change is going to longer travel shocks for more down travel. If you're not planning to rock crawl much, doing 32s and a 2" lift should be plenty for most situations and will keep the truck pretty decent to drive too. The 100" wheelbase on the disco lends itself pretty well to most things I've encountered here in CA and around AZ/NV/UT where I spent most of my time off road. I find myself doing a lot more "overland" type stuff these days though than rock gardens and that sort of thing but I wouldn't hesitate to do those things still. I just have to me mindful of the weight of the RTT up top. Keeping the lift minimal keeps the CG lower but its already tall to begin with.
Yeah, I did plenty of rock hopping with my JT, but it's not my main effort. Lockers make a world of difference, for sure. What ones did you go with? I think I've seen ARB and Ashcroft make them for our trucks.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLastOne
Yeah, I did plenty of rock hopping with my JT, but it's not my main effort. Lockers make a world of difference, for sure. What ones did you go with? I think I've seen ARB and Ashcroft make them for our trucks.
I went with Ashcroft air lockers front and rear this time. ARB is a good choice too though and might be easier to find service parts for when the need arises.