Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Suspension opinions

I haven't checked in for a week or so. There are a number of new posts on suspension, but rather than hijack one, I'm going to start a new thread...

My next spend will be on my suspension. When your 17 year old daughter infers that its time for new shocks, you gotta listen. I do very little off road currently, but aspire to do more. I am wiling and able to spend more for a premium setup that I might not challenge. I've seen some posts where members are mixing and matching OME and TF (and other) springs and shocks. I'm kinda ****, and prefer a one vendor solution. My specific questions and comments:

1) Is OME the more robust route (shocks, springs, stabilizer)? Advantage over Terrafirma?
2) Are medium springs front/rear and the nitro charger shocks (EMU) a good all-around setup? Looks like the nitro chargers have become the standard. I recall light/medium/heavy duty shocks being offered more widely in the past.
3) Further to the above, if I don't plan on custom bumpers or a winch in the near term, do I need to consider different load springs or shocks front to rear? I really don't want to have to tweak things with spacers, etc.
4) Finally, the question of bushings. Do the appropriate bushings come with shock sets, steering stabilizer, etc.? I see some complete bushing sets available, but are they necessary if one is not doing a complete overhaul? Would this turn a simple shock/spring replacement into a major project? Which bushings need to be ordered for a shock/spring/steering stabilizer replacement?

Thanks for any guidance. I'll ask about tire size upgrades next!

DRW

Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

OME is far better then T.F. and will far out last them.
If you want to lift the truck back up to what it was when new, yes, medium duty coils and the HD Sport shock are a great choice.
Lucky8 has a video on installing a new suspension if you plan on doing it yourself and it is not hard.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
1) Is OME the more robust route (shocks, springs, stabilizer)? Advantage over Terrafirma?
Yes, according to other memebers on here. Terrafirma advantage = cost savings. My opinion may come w/ bias as I just installed TF's MD kit. So, I'll stop here.

2) Are medium springs front/rear and the nitro charger shocks (EMU) a good all-around setup? Looks like the nitro chargers have become the standard. I recall light/medium/heavy duty shocks being offered more widely in the past.
Lack of knowledge restricts me from commenting on this. I'm sure someone else will get this one. If not, search the forum consensus to help formulate your own opinion.

3) Further to the above, if I don't plan on custom bumpers or a winch in the near term, do I need to consider different load springs or shocks front to rear? I really don't want to have to tweak things with spacers, etc.
If your not loading down the truck w/ additional weight stay away from heavy duty springs. Medium springs will give you a slight advantage over stock spring rates when it comes to hauling hefty cargo "load". But obviously it's not w/o consequences when no load is present, i.e. a slightly stiffer ride.

4) Finally, the question of bushings. Do the appropriate bushings come with shock sets, steering stabilizer, etc.? I see some complete bushing sets available, but are they necessary if one is not doing a complete overhaul? Would this turn a simple shock/spring replacement into a major project? Which bushings need to be ordered for a shock/spring/steering stabilizer replacement?
No bushings are provided w/ any kit that I'm aware of. They need to be purchased separately. Do not confuse these bushings w/ the ones installed in the shocks and steering damper. We're talking about the bushings that go in to the radius arms, etc?

If you stay under 2" total lift you do not have to worry about replacing all the bushings. However, it is recommended to install new radius arms and an adjustable pan hard rod to re-adjust the geometry of the truck. Help bring things back into alignment. Someone correct me if I have this incorrect.

Last edited by coors; 10-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
OME is far better then T.F. and will far out last them.
If you want to lift the truck back up to what it was when new, yes, medium duty coils and the HD Sport shock are a great choice.
Lucky8 has a video on installing a new suspension if you plan on doing it yourself and it is not hard.
Jeeez in a spout of ignorance you once again pounce on Terrafirma. You can talk down about them all you want, but when someone talks smack about BPUtah you're right there to delete their post. Conflict of interest Mike, learn what you're doing is wrong. You haven't used a TF kit, I've used both a OME and TF kit, and so far the TF kit has ridden better than the OME ever did.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Administrator

First I have been building and wheeling since 1969, most likely before you were born and if I praise one group or product and not another, it is for a very good reason, called experience.
Yes, I promote BPoU, because of the good prices and service just as I do people like Paul Grant, Will T and Marty, because the are honest and really help people.
As for the T.F., I call it as I see it and also based on the number of shock complaints and people replacing their TF suspensions for more of the ride they were looking for, and yes, it is more expensive, but a far better product with a 20 plus year track record out of Austrailia.
So, if you took it personally that I down played TF suspensions, because you have one, well that was your choice, if someone asks for a recommendation I will start with the best and work back as their wallet or driving habits dictate.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Without personal experience everything is just hearsay. I'm sorry to offend you like that, I know you have more experience off roading than me, but I've had both and you continually bash TF without you yourself having a bad experience with it. I didn't get a TF kit because I couldn't get an OME kit, trust me, price was not the deal breaker. I don't know Paul, but Will and Marty are great dudes and I would definitely buy through them. I was just saying it's unfair to use your admin power to silence bad press, but whatever I stepped over the line I guess.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

makes sense to me what DM is saying about OME having a solid track record, but i'm curious about the terra firma shocks not lasting as long - if this is indeed the case is there a ballpark figure on how long (approximately) both types will last? i imagine usage is a large factor, but for someone like original poster who has a 17 year old daughter driving the disco i'm guessing it won't see a lot of off road use.

in other words, when comparing the two OME has the rep and TF has a better price, so knowing the approximate lifespan would be helpful in making a decision. unless it is a hands down, no contest type of comparison (angelina jolie vs bea arthur for example) some specifics would be helpful.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I am not using any admin. abilities to give them or BPoU some support where needed.
I do when a different need arrises, promote other companies like DAP, D&D, Atlantic British,Great Basins Rovers and many others.
I support any company/person that will help the different Rover site I administer along with our members.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Youch - didn't mean to start an argument

I appreciate the replies. I can see that there is a definite price differential between OME and Terrafirma. Truth be told, I'll probably never seriously challenge the specs of either brand...

Regarding the bushings, etc., should I look into replacing or refurb'ing some other things, like linkages, tie rods, etc.? I suppose one could go crazy replacing components... Let me ask this way - with a reasonable budget, what would most members do with their suspension/undercarriage?

DRW

Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I am not using any admin. abilities to give them or BPoU some support where needed.
I do when a different need arrises, promote other companies like DAP, D&D, Atlantic British,Great Basins Rovers and many others.
I support any company/person that will help the different Rover site I administer along with our members.

You recommend whoever pays your Paypal account. Post #9
DO NOT BUY FROM British Parts of UTAH! - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

You also delete negative threads against the company that pays you.
You should not be an administrator and take kick backs from a company for referring them.

Does the owner of this board know you are paid by Bp of Utah for referrals?

Last edited by Waterfowl; 10-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.