Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 07:35 PM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Suspension rebuild time

New engine is running great. Redid the brakes less than a year ago. Time to address the tired, original suspension at 270K (only shocks have been replaced over time).

Unfortunately, I will not have access to the home shop moving forward.

Here’s my plan.

New drag link and track bar kit.

Local indy LR shop for ball joints.

Buying a used set of radius rods and front panhard rod so I can install new bushings and have the local shop install them at the same time as ball joints.

Already installed a new Watts linkage - I have a used set of rods I want to install new bushings in and install.

New springs and shocks. Std height - std firmness front / std height - med firmness rear. Have not decided what brand to go with yet - not looking for the cheapest.

What am I missing?

Thx!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:20 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
New engine is running great. Redid the brakes less than a year ago. Time to address the tired, original suspension at 270K (only shocks have been replaced over time).

Unfortunately, I will not have access to the home shop moving forward.

Here’s my plan.

New drag link and track bar kit.

Local indy LR shop for ball joints.

Buying a used set of radius rods and front panhard rod so I can install new bushings and have the local shop install them at the same time as ball joints.

Already installed a new Watts linkage - I have a used set of rods I want to install new bushings in and install.

New springs and shocks. Std height - std firmness front / std height - med firmness rear. Have not decided what brand to go with yet - not looking for the cheapest.

What am I missing?

Thx!
I will admit I have no input on your list beyond it sounds like you have thought out the process quite a bit in detail. Can I ask why you are going with the stiffer rear springs? I'm assuming it's so it doesn't sag with payload, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:58 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Steering damper?

Old 01-27-2022, 07:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

RTE springs. Worth the money or wait if there is one (I haven't talked to Simon in a while).

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Not standard height but 2" Medium duty TF set up. I have grown to like everything about it. The ride is better than stock and I have E rated tires. Only thing not tested is loading the truck up and seeing if the rear sags. I also have the TF steering/drag link set up. Only complaint there is a boot is already cracking less than a year in.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Karmakannon
I will admit I have no input on your list beyond it sounds like you have thought out the process quite a bit in detail. Can I ask why you are going with the stiffer rear springs? I'm assuming it's so it doesn't sag with payload, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else.
That’s the reason - no/little sagging when the back is full of stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Karmakannon (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Steering damper?
Yep - thx!

Old 01-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by whowa004
RTE springs. Worth the money or wait if there is one (I haven't talked to Simon in a while).
Thanks. Any recommendations on shocks? I know that’s a loaded question. I want to keep the ride height and tire size stock. Looking for an OEM like ride - or nicer.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dswilly
Not standard height but 2" Medium duty TF set up. I have grown to like everything about it. The ride is better than stock and I have E rated tires. Only thing not tested is loading the truck up and seeing if the rear sags. I also have the TF steering/drag link set up. Only complaint there is a boot is already cracking less than a year in.

Nice looking rig! Keeping the ride height stock - same with tires - or maybe slightly taller. Just got done with the brakes a little while ago and installed stock height steel braided lines.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
Thanks. Any recommendations on shocks? I know that’s a loaded question. I want to keep the ride height and tire size stock. Looking for an OEM like ride - or nicer.
I don't have a good stock recommendation other than maybe some Bilstein 7100s either 8 or 10" travel (don't need the external reservoir and I don't remember stock shock lengths. Easy enough to measure them once off vehicle) and have them valved similar to stock ratings, maybe up hair in the rear. Simon can answer/source those as well, though lead times on shocks has been brutal. I know I find the fox shocks to be quite stiff on an unloaded/armored d2, OME is stiff to me as well and I'm not a fan of TF stuff. Actually RTE does track and drag links as well though they would be way overkill for a stock set up.

Quick Reply: Suspension rebuild time