Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped out the xyz, still some issues at 35mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:57 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Swapped out the xyz, still some issues at 35mph

Truck has been running fine around town. No limp mode or flashing m/s lights. However when I shift into 1st or neutral, the indicator does not acknowledge unless I apply moderate forward pressure to the automatic shifter. Furthermore when I reach speeds of 30 mph and up it feels like the transmission is not changing into the appropriate gear and consequently the rpms gradually soar up the longer you apply pressure to the gas pedal. Today I tried accelerating to 40mph then the m/s lights and flashing check engine light came on followed by limp mode. Turned the truck off then back on and back to "normal".

I bought the donor switch off ebay. Its an older model with the tan plastic. In contrast the switch I pulled from my truck has the black plastic. The gear selector shaft appears to be in good condition. Would these symptoms be a sure indication of another bad switch, improper adjustment or perhaps indication that the transmission needs a fluid/filter change?

How exactly do I adjust the switch anyways. From what I could tell the switch only fits onto the shaft one way. Could someone be more specific about the technique for making adjustments to the switch. I still have another switch I can pull from my 2004 grey D2 should the need arise.

Thanks much

Last edited by TRIARII; 03-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Switch has some slight movement forward/backwards. Then you have the cable adjustment itself. You don't want it to tight and you don't want it to loose. Best to tinker with if you have two people as they can tell you when N is present on the Dash & Selector LED on the shifter surround.

I honestly prefer the tan ZF switches to the newer black ones, but some people like it the other way around as well.

I'd certainly remove the fill plug and get a little sample of what the transmission fluid looks like & smells like (can give you a good clue on what is going on inside).

Old 03-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 890 Likes on 642 Posts

What transmission fault codes or other symptoms were there to make you think the XYZ switch needed to be replaced? There are 14 or 15 different transmission faults that can trigger limp home mode and the flashing M&S lights. Only one of those indicates a problem with the XYZ switch.