Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping to coils

I know I have been saying this for a year but I am finally biting the bullet and swapping to coils in the back. I have had an electronic gremelin toying with my rover and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. It will not raise up some days and then it will just kick back on like nothing happened. My question is this however... I just called the dealer in Knoxville and he said that along with reconfiguring the ECU, he would have to manually disconnect the module as well. Is this something that I can do while I am installing the springs? I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible because I would like to get a lift in the next couple of years. He quoted me $200 some odd dollars and said he could work with the price a little since I am in a couple of clubs but I would like for them to have to do as little as possible. Thanks for the help and also a shout out to Justin at Lucky 8 who is hooking me up with the coils at a great price.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Simply, Pull the relay / fuse for the Air suspension compressor, either just unplug or completely remove the height sensors as well, after that all that needs to be done then it to tell the BCU and the SLABS ECU its on coils not air............job done

Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks. Will do

Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like I'm going to be lifting/swapping to coils soon too. Air bags are leaking more and the pump runs a lot. I'm sure its only a matter of time before it burns out.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I can get the coils for the same price as one visit to read the SLS codes. I will miss the air but I am tired of having an unreliable system.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

How much did you pay for the springs? Are they OME springs or LR springs?

Old 03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I called Justin at Lucky 8 and he just happened to have a set of the LR springs that a previous customer had him install. However that customer saw another LR with a lift and decided right away that he wanted that instead, so I am getting them for $150 shipped to my door. So far I have only been able to find well used springs at that price plus shipping so I figured it was a good deal. I plan on fitting some OME at some point but couldn't afford it right now so I was looking for a cheap, temp fix.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

salve, why don't ya just go ahead and lift a few inches now? That's my plan.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree with night train.
If you don't put both front and rear springs along with new shocks you will have one end high the other low with a real mis-matched ride.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well I will happily take donations! I don't have the 600 bucks to do that now and it is my DD. I would prefer to go ahead and do the lift...

Quick Reply: Swapping to coils