Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from regular to premium

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from regular to premium

2000 DII 150K

Ive always ran regular gas and have now learned I should have been using premium. Is it safe to start running premium now after using regular all those miles or will that cause me problems?

Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You can switch anytime. I would put a can of seafoam in the tank after you top it off with premium. Out of all the products out there that I have tried seafoam will really do what it says it can do on the can. Wouldn't hurt to do a seafoam hot soak on the engine but if you haven't done one before research how to do it.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

With a warning in you owners manual, on your dash and on the gas door, why have you been carboning up your engine burning crap gas????????????????????????????
How many miles on it.
Your engine should should be decarboned and cleaned out. Once done then start running a couple bottles of good quality gas additive.
After a month or so of this, don't be surprised to find your power is up and your getting 2 plus MPG.
What else have you not done, is it current on services, how about your front drive shaft, have you already replaced it prior to failing?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:02 PM
4wd Low

Mike-

150K on it. I've done your 60K maintenance, and have indeed rebuilt the front driveshaft. Anything I can do to decarbon/clean out that wasnt covered on your list?
So go ahead with the premium and add a can of seaform to each fillup for a while?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seafoam in the tank will not do much cleaning. Do an induction cleaning with the seafoam and when your gas is down to about 1/2 of a tank put in 2 bottles of techron (or better yet get the amsoil FI cleaner with PEA) and drive it down to nearly empty.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, use seafoam for for the induction cleaning and a gas additive for the gas tank. I really like the shell V-power additive, but others are good too. If you go with the Shell additive, use it with Shell gas if possible.

IMO the best premium gas on the market is Shell. I have found that I have better preformance with it than any other brand. People will say all gas is the same, but thats just not ture. If you dont have a Shell near by, use a name brand gas, NOT a Wal-mart premium or other discount gases. Like mike said, you will notice a big difference in preformance and an increase in MPG. The extra few cents you pay will be worth it in the long run.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a dumb question:

when you use a cleaner like seafoam or techron, where does the gunk go?

burns off?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It burns off. You will hear a lot of alarmist claiming that you risk fouling your cats and
o2 sensors but I have never even heard anyone claim that it has actually happened. If some bits of carbon do make it to your cats, they won't be around for long as cats get hot enough to incinerate them turn them to ash and send them on their way.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Overlanding

Hey disco mike, I noticed you live in Colorado. I live in Denver and just purchased a 04 disco. The dealer said not to put 91 octane because the altitude and said it's a waste of money and even harmful to the engine. It would be nice to use 87 or 85 but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the engine and performance. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 04discomw
Hey disco mike, I noticed you live in Colorado. I live in Denver and just purchased a 04 disco. The dealer said not to put 91 octane because the altitude and said it's a waste of money and even harmful to the engine. It would be nice to use 87 or 85 but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the engine and performance. What are your thoughts?
Your mechanic is dead wrong.
They must not know anything about Rover engines.
Our engines do not have a EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system.
The purpose of the EGR is to introduce some exhaust back into the combustion chambers to lower combustion temps.
The lower the octane rating the higher the combustion temps.
Remember, heat is a bad thing.
The hotter your combustion temps the hotter your cylinder heads, the hotter your heads the sooner your head gaskets go bad, you will also bake the oil inside the engine because it will get to hot and sludge things up.
Motor oil lubricates and cools engine parts.
You will also loose MPG by using the wrong octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Switching from regular to premium