Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symmetrical truck conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symmetrical truck conversion?

Notice how the truck is symmetrical? So it can be built as left hand or right hand drive.

Can these be changed to right hand drive for people who work for the post office or have a paper route? Anyone know cost of doing it?

FYI: Most postal workers drive a left hand drive car and sit in the passenger side reaching over for the gas, brake and steering. I know, sounds really risky but they do it.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most postal workers I see on rural routes just drive on the wrong side of the road. As far as costs to change over to RHD, very expensive.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It could be done pretty cheap.
All you would need is the steering components, master cylinder and dash.
If a guy did it himself it could prob be done for under $2000.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like it wouldn't cost too much. By looking at it it looks like the current dash would work. Things would just need to be removed and moved to the other side of same dash. Clock module changed for the bank of switches, Pass airbag comes out and wheel assembly moved over, etc..

Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you looking to change jobs Mike?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how much would it cost just to buy one that way? (or have it imported that way?)

Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i am yet to see a RHD Disco in the states (possibly because you can't import them) but there are plenty of older trucks, i almost bought a series 3 that was RHD and diesel.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"It could be done pretty cheap.
All you would need is the steering components, master cylinder and dash.
If a guy did it himself it could prob be done for under $2000."

Hitting the eggnog pretty hard are we, Spike? Pray tell, where are you going to locate these "cheap" RHD components in the States?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the initial point was that all of those components (and everything else) is switchable, meaning once the glove box and airbag are removed from the passenger side and the steering column, instruments and lower dash panel from the drivers side, the dash would then be the same as in where the "4 big holes" are then you swap all the computer components, heater core, and everything else under the dash on either side. I would imagine LR built the engine wells the same, there are probably mounting holes for the steering box on both sides of the engine, I would think the brake system can just be switched over (maybe need some new lines), the steering system can be just switched over until you actually get to where the steering components attach to the wheels, and the dash is pretty close (that would be my biggest concern) then maybe some new hoses, for the heater core. dont know if the steering pump can be switched to the other side of the engine or not (maybe swapped with the alternator). but it seems like alot of work when there are many RHD vehicles here in the states already.

Quick Reply: Symmetrical truck conversion?