Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my 2001 Disco 2 into machanic tomorrow for a host of issues.. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my 2001 Disco 2 into machanic tomorrow for a host of issues.. any suggestions?

well I tried my best.. I corrected a few minor things.. now its time to bite the bullet.. I purchased the truck about 3 months ago (2001 Disco 2 SE 110K).. had a little bit of a power steering leak.. the hose was new so I paid a guy 100 bucks to put the hose on correctly.. 2 months later?? a puddle of fluid in front of my house and now he said its the pump.. whatever.. im taking it to a different guy now for a stalling issue and boggin upon bigger gas demands.. codes came back p0102, p0455, p0327.. I cleaned mass airflow with CRC and youtube tutorial.. I also purchased a knock sensor as per code and to which i will have mechanic replace.. im also going to ask him to check the evap system for the "gross leak, no flow".. my question to the gods here.. Is there any suggestions on how I could proceed with the new mechanic?? Im going to ask him to knock out a lot of Disco Mikes high mileage maintenence list.. I also printed out areas of the RAVE that he might be addressing (just in case) and may even save labor time.. I love the truck.. i take care of my cars.. this one isnt even giving me a chance..

Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Get an estimate before turning the guy loose

Taking that high mileage maintenance list to a mechanic you aren't familiar with can be costly. I would get a solid estimate before authorizing work, and even at that, you will have to be a trusting soul. Parts and labor, that list can set you back two grand easy. That's not counting the problems you've already identified. Not to say this preventive maintenance shouldn't be done, but if you can do some of it yourself, it is easier to swallow.

Best of luck - these trucks are really great when properly maintained and working well!

DRW

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Mudding

thank you DRW.. my primary concern is the tranny oil for I fear it was never done.. I think I could knock that out when the weather breaks.. I already did the serpentine belt with a neighbor and cleaned up the grounds.. thanks for the advice.. I will tell the mechanic to just address the serious issues (power steering and evap leak)..

Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding

Hey would anyone know how long it should take to replace the knock sensor??
(Knock sensor 1 circuit low input (bank 1 single sensor) just want to make sure the guy is being honest with me..

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Drifting

where are you located? someone on here may know an independent rover mechanic in your area.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Mudding

Staten Island NY

Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't do this, you are setting your self up for a huge, expensive fall, one that you will regret.
Start doing all your own maintanence your self so you learn how to work on your truck.
If you have already dropped off the truck, before you allow any work to be done get back to us with each estimate so we can make sure you will not be shooting your self in the "***".

Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Mudding

Hahaa.. Thanks Mike!! I dropped the truck off and just told him to do the knock sensor for now...(i supplied Duralast) he said 40 bucks? sounds great but im no FOO.. he could just be setting me up because i also said something about evap issues and told him the power steering is gone do to leak or pump.. the shyster that fixed the hose before told me its was the pump now.. theres also "p0455 the gross evap leak no flow".. the truck would run fine when cold.. but once it warmed up it would just die sometimes upon stopping and when stepping on the gas it would bog at certain points of demand.. I would love nothing more than to attempt to fix myself.. you guys are extremely helpful and thurough.. you guys already helped me with the 3 amigo voltage issue i experianced.. only problem now is, its 35 degrees her and I just want to get it to pass inspection.. thanks again Mike i will definitly keep you posted.. hey quick question.. are you familiar with this evap leak test with the propane gas?? where you go along vacuum lines with gas and idle will change with leak?? i can do this!! lol.. let me know

Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This brings up a good thing to discuss. Now, there are not a million of us on here, but there sure are enough scattered around the country to have a few people in each area. Like Mike said, the best way to learn about things is to mess with them yourself. Sure, you might not get it right each time, but you learn in the process!
With that said, instead of just advice, we should put together "wrenching nights" locally. You are in SI, so maybe like an hour from me and the same from others around here. Being that everyone doesn't have all the equipment and room to do things, people could meet up in different spots. Some of my best friends (and the crew that will wreck my bar area on New Year's Eve) came from your local get together nights for Audi. 5-15 of us get together on Thursday nights to hang out, but during good weather and such we will have detail days, wrench days, etc. Some night we meet at someone's house and all we accomplish is drinking some beer, other nights turn into weekends where the entire engine is out.
So, if you need a hand or a spot, I'm sure at least a couple local people can get together and teach you, and teach everyone. Let's face it, not many are experts on anything. And...if we have really big problems I'll send a Greyhound ticket to Buzz, Mike, Spike, etc

Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
This brings up a good thing to discuss. Now, there are not a million of us on here, but there sure are enough scattered around the country to have a few people in each area. Like Mike said, the best way to learn about things is to mess with them yourself. Sure, you might not get it right each time, but you learn in the process!
With that said, instead of just advice, we should put together "wrenching nights" locally. You are in SI, so maybe like an hour from me and the same from others around here. Being that everyone doesn't have all the equipment and room to do things, people could meet up in different spots. Some of my best friends (and the crew that will wreck my bar area on New Year's Eve) came from your local get together nights for Audi. 5-15 of us get together on Thursday nights to hang out, but during good weather and such we will have detail days, wrench days, etc. Some night we meet at someone's house and all we accomplish is drinking some beer, other nights turn into weekends where the entire engine is out.
So, if you need a hand or a spot, I'm sure at least a couple local people can get together and teach you, and teach everyone. Let's face it, not many are experts on anything. And...if we have really big problems I'll send a Greyhound ticket to Buzz, Mike, Spike, etc
Actually this would be a good sticky thread to make. I know that there are several Disco peeps on the the landroverforums that live in NC. It would be cool to create a forum club per region that can get together and help each other. I would love to help out a guy with more experience than me so I can learn from them. And as much as I have to learn I know I can help out total noob .

Quick Reply: Taking my 2001 Disco 2 into machanic tomorrow for a host of issues.. any suggestions?