Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tap into power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tap into power?

Does anyone know where I can tap into 12V power on the Disco II? I have a 2000 Discovery II that I'd like to hardwire a harness into, but don't know where the best place would be (i.e. behind the cigarette lighter, under seat, etc.)

Anybody know what color corresponds to what? (i.e. 12vdc, ACC, and GND)

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tap into power?

ORIGINAL: yarddawg

Does anyone know where I can tap into 12V power on the Disco II? I have a 2000 Discovery II that I'd like to hardwire a harness into, but don't know where the best place would be (i.e. behind the cigarette lighter, under seat, etc.)

Anybody know what color corresponds to what? (i.e. 12vdc, ACC, and GND)

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't recommend "tapping" in anywhere. I would run a hard wire directly to the battery through the fire wall. Why half @ss it.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling

This is for an MP3 player adapter. Don't stereo installers typically "tap" in somewhere near the stereo? Either way, how do you go to the firewall at the battery?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is for an MP3 player adapter. Don't stereo installers typically "tap" in somewhere near the stereo? Either way, how do you go to the firewall at the battery?
Some do. Many of them go to the fuse box and use an open socket.

Firewall has a few grommet points to go through. I was surprised how few there are on this car.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but does anyone know how to do this... in somewhat detail?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to Best Buy, pay the $50 and have it done right.
Why take the chance and mess something else up? Most likely they have a wiring harness that will plug right into the stereo wiring and your "music sounds like crap player" will work with the key like it was meant to do.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't want to seem ungrateful, but does anyone know how to do this... in somewhat detail?
What are you trying to install?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did a major stereo upgrade so let me give some suggestions. An mp3 player is pretty low on the power scale so you could just tap in to an existing hot wire. But the hassle may not be worth it. For instance to get to the back of the cigarette lighter in the main console is requires quite a few steps to remove the console including removing the gear shift **** and bezel and disconnecting all of the plugs to all switches (widows, seat heaters and seat motor controls) as well as disconnecting the hand brake cable. There are only 4 screws to remove but the rest is a bitch for some folks especially the first time you try.

You could also tap into the wiring harness at the back of the radio but that requires removing the radio and disconnecting everything and finding the wire with a voltage meter, there is a switched hot and a permenant hot so you need to find the switched one.

It is far easier to just remove the passenger kick panel under the dash and poke your wire through the large grommet in the upper right corner (just look for where the wiring harness goes) and run your wire to an after market fuse block connected to the battery hot terminal. My factory battery cables had a machined hole for a bolt to attach wires which I used.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

What are you trying to install?
I'm trying to install a 12v wire harness that came with my Harmon Kardon "Drive and Play" ipod player. It has a red, black and yellow wire (ACC, GND and 12vdc) that hardwires into my vehicle and then connects to the controller for the product.

I have the 10 pin converter to hook into the prewired CD changer port, but need 12v power for the controller.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where do you plan to mount or put the HK Ipod unit? That might help decide where you want to go to get power.

Quick Reply: Tap into power?