Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC,ABS,HDC question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC,ABS,HDC question

just got a 99 D2, when turning on the key the HDC light comes on, no ABS or TC lights. when pushing in the HDC I hear the chimes but it does not light up. checked all the fuses and they are in place, have not check to see if any burnt out yet. where would be a good place to start looking to see what the problem is? fuse location, cut wire, did someone disconnect something ????
any help would be great
thanks

Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Do the ABS and TC lights light up for a bulb check when the key is first turned on?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Pull the instrument cluster and see if the bulbs were pulled or covered by tape.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:10 PM
8th Gear

no ABS or TC lights on the dash when the key is turned on, only the HDC and all other lights. but when in low range and first gear no HDC light. it chimes 3 times and that's it

Old 01-21-2015, 04:10 PM
8th Gear

I will check that this weekend. thanks

Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench

That's what I was assuming: Somehow the other two bulbs have been covered. I wouldn't be surprised if the HDC light had been also covered, and somehow the cover had fallen off.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM
8th Gear

Update,
Light bulbs were pulled, code P1590 on the scanner. Any ideas where to start now. HDC light still comes on with key but not when pushed. Is this due to the 1590 code?
Thanks all

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench

P1590 is just a generic "rough road" code. It can be set by a malfunction with the ABS (most common) or by an extreme engine misfire I have read.

The bulbs were most likely pulled because they stayed on due to a fault within the ABS system and a previous owner removed the bulbs so he wouldn't have to look at them, or for an easier sale.

Without blindly guessing which ABS part has failed, or spending hours testing each component with a multimeter/scope, your best bet is to buy/rent/borrow a scanner than can read the ABS codes on this vehicle. There are a few members who rent a tool called the ABS Amigo that clears and records ABS codes. There might also be a member close to you that has a scanner that would be willing to diagnose your vehicle for you for a beer or two.

I have such a scan tool and am in Columbia Mo. I use the Autocom scan tool and it cost just under $100 but took a few weeks to ship from China. Post your location and see if you can get assistance from a fellow member.

There are at least a dozen different things that can trigger the Amigos, so a methodical approach to diagnosis is recommended.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the help, this is my first rover. Last rig was a 51CJ3A, got to small for the kids.
I am in Sonora ca. Up by Yosemite and about two hours from Sacramento
Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll catch on soon enough, but since you are new to Land Rovers, the three lights together, ABS, Hill Descent, and Traction Control, are affectionately called the Three Amigos. Good luck.

Quick Reply: TC,ABS,HDC question