Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC now kicks-in at every turn! Your help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TC now kicks-in at every turn! Your help, please.

'03 Discovery 2. 110,000 miles. Steering began binding when recovering from a left hand turn. Replaced the Drag Link, Steering Rod, Upper and Lower Ball Joints and Steering Shaft. Aligned the front wheels (in my driveway) between 0 and 20' toe out. Feels good. Tracks well. But the Traction Control kicks in at every turn. Even when going at neighborhood-speed through a wide curve. I should probably not fuss too much until I've had it professionally aligned, but I'm open to hearing what I might have done wrong.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JettsRover
'03 Discovery 2. 110,000 miles. Steering began binding when recovering from a left hand turn. Replaced the Drag Link, Steering Rod, Upper and Lower Ball Joints and Steering Shaft. Aligned the front wheels (in my driveway) between 0 and 20' toe out. Feels good. Tracks well. But the Traction Control kicks in at every turn. Even when going at neighborhood-speed through a wide curve. I should probably not fuss too much until I've had it professionally aligned, but I'm open to hearing what I might have done wrong.
TC is controlled by the abs system. I'd inspect the sensor wires, or maybe you can tell which wheel sensor is causing the braking. I'd guess bad sensor at the wheel that is triggered..

Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Mudding

Good call. I had the same thought, once I stopped being miserable that everything wasn't quite right.

Any suggestions on how to determine which wheel/sensor is causing the problem?

Old 07-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
TC is controlled by the abs system. I'd inspect the sensor wires, or maybe you can tell which wheel sensor is causing the braking. I'd guess bad sensor at the wheel that is triggered..
X1 ........... Sounds like a dodgy wheel bearing or sensor or possibly a sensor cable connection.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Good call. I had the same thought, once I stopped being miserable that everything wasn't quite right.

Any suggestions on how to determine which wheel/sensor is causing the problem?
I always assume the work I did was faulty if something goes wrong. Surprisingly, my work usually checks out, but I find a I need to step away often.

I had a similar situation at the front left wheel. I switched the sensor to the right front and sure enough the TC malfunction followed it over there. So you should be able to tell which wheel it is, and go from there, starting with inspecting the wire.

You can test the voltage from the connector to the ECU, but my experience is that bad sensor can test fine at a standstill. If you have an OBDII tool that can show live data from the sensors that would be preferable. I do not, so I am now an expert at installing those damn sensors. If you put a new one in, don't drop it!

Old 07-15-2017, 11:49 AM

The hubs really degrade over time around the sensor. It may be good enough to take it out clean it, recondition the seat a little and put it back in. I would have a new one available though.

Also, I would recommend keeping the original connectors. The sensors that you wire in, come with pins you can use to marry them to the connector, but I will be damned if I could even get close to getting the original pins out.

If anyone knows how to do that I would love to hear it. It's my opinion that the original connector is at least as good as a solder, and probably better.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Mudding

WooHoo! I pulled off everything down to the wheel hub, replaced the Speed Sensor, plugged it right back into where I took the old one out, and the TC issues are gone. For those reading this ... be advised ... your ABS fault light will be on until you've test driven the vehicle over 15mph.

Now all I've got left to do is to fix the misfire in #6, and finally figure out what is making the steering so mushy/sticky/mushy. No biggie!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Something to be aware of...if the end of the sensor was worn off/ground down...most likely...you have a hub going bad. Now, if the sensor wasn't compromised...then it may have just been a failing sensor.

Brian.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM

WooHoo! I pulled off everything down to the wheel hub, replaced the Speed Sensor, plugged it right back into where I took the old one out, and the TC issues are gone. For those reading this ... be advised ... your ABS fault light will be on until you've test driven the vehicle over 15mph.

Now all I've got left to do is to fix the misfire in #6, and finally figure out what is making the steering so mushy/sticky/mushy. No biggie!
Nice job!