Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD5 engine starts and sounds good but no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 02:02 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD5 engine starts and sounds good but no power

Because I decided at nearly 70 to hang up my spanners I have had the head gasket done by a friend. Now my td5 will start immediately and sounds good but has no power. I have got my spanners out and tried to help Checked and double checked the timing. Had the injectors checked on a machine to make sure they were matched to the ecu. New fuel pump and filter already fitted.Removed wiring harness back to ecu. cleaned and checked all the wires for continuity as well as injector harness. Checked fuel flow and pressure. Had it checked by another 2 computers. Turbo works perfect except the waste gate does not open. Now at a complete loss what to do next. Can any one please help.
Bob

Old 07-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stratford4528
Because I decided at nearly 70 to hang up my spanners I have had the head gasket done by a friend. Now my td5 will start immediately and sounds good but has no power. I have got my spanners out and tried to help Checked and double checked the timing. Had the injectors checked on a machine to make sure they were matched to the ecu. New fuel pump and filter already fitted.Removed wiring harness back to ecu. cleaned and checked all the wires for continuity as well as injector harness. Checked fuel flow and pressure. Had it checked by another 2 computers. Turbo works perfect except the waste gate does not open. Now at a complete loss what to do next. Can any one please help.
Bob
Why/what reason did you have to do the headgasket? How many miles on the truck and what year? Was the truck running OK before the HG job was done?

Old 07-19-2015, 03:57 PM
8th Gear
Default td5 with no power

I bought the td5 about 12 months ago with broken timing chain. Fitted SH cam followers,hydraulic tappets.timing chain and timing chain hydraulic adjuster just in case it would not run again. The head had been overhauled and the valves were not damaged. I think what had broke the chain the fitter who last worked on it had blocked the oil gallery's with to much sealer and the chain did not adjust and tried to jump. I put it back together and it ran superb to my surprise. If it had not I was going to put a 300 engine in to get rid of the electronics.(I wished I had now) The reason I had to have the head done was because it was losing water. The head wasn't warped but had a dip in it on number 2 so it had a few thou taken off to level it. It was running well before it started losing water. In fact I had done 700 miles 2 weeks earlier towing a 9m tri-axle trailer with a boat on it. What has gone wrong with it while my friend has done the head gasket is a mystery.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe the rocker shaft taken apart and reassembled wrong?

Most people on this forum are in the US and Canada. There are a very few TD5 owners here, so you might get lucky.
Here are a couple of forums with a lot more TD5 owners.
Land Rover UK Forums
LandyZone - Land Rover Forum

I posted the above at 6am EDT in response to your post in the new member introduction section, but someone moved your post here and didn't move my reply, so my apologies if you didn't see it.

Last edited by antichrist; 07-19-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Maybe the rocker shaft taken apart and reassembled wrong?

Most people on this forum are in the US and Canada. There are a very few TD5 owners here, so you might get lucky.
Here are a couple of forums with a lot more TD5 owners.
Land Rover UK Forums
LandyZone - Land Rover Forum

I posted the above at 6am EDT in response to your post in the new member introduction section, but someone moved your post here and didn't move my reply, so my apologies if you didn't see it.
You mention the fuel side is good but is something blocking the air intake side somewhere?
Wish we had more of the diesels over here.

Last edited by GROVERDISCO; 07-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GROVERDISCO
You mention the fuel side is good but is something blocking the air intake side somewhere?
Wish we had more of the diesels over here.
You might want to edit your post and quote the OP rather than me.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stratford4528;
There are about 400 things you can check, I have gone over all these on my Td5. Probably some of the more common issues;
1.) make sure the stupid little hoses are all in good condition and properly connected to the Waste Gate Control Valve. This also presumes the valve itself is in good condition. I include a photo.
If it is not connected correctly, you will have an engine that starts and runs normally, but has no power at speed.
2.) Sometimes the injector harness fails, it may need to be checked.
3.) Is the turbo waste gate actuator seized or is it moving freely?
4.) Check the fuel pressure regulator. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is replace it to see if it is faulty.
5.) Check the Mass Airflow Sensor, unplug it to see if there is any improvement, if so it should be CAREFULLY cleaned or simply replaced.
6.) Check the ECU plug on the box, if full of oil you could try cleaning it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush.... This usually means a new harness will be needed shortly....

If your waste gate does not open, that is your problem. See point number 1, followed by point number 2. Not a terribly expensive fix, and you can do it yourself. Buy better quality insulated hose that can take the high temps of the turbo if the hoses are failing, and use hose clamps. Check your codes, if this is the case you might get a 'turbo overboost' warning. As a test, simply connect the turbo wastegate valve thingy on the turbo directly to the intercooler intake hose, and you should be back to normal. You will throw the code above, you will need to get a new solenoid.

If you don't know what some of these items are, Google is your friend. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Joe Btfsplik; 07-20-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 AM
8th Gear

Thank you for your reply. All the things you have mentioned have been done. This is why we are at a loss to know what is wrong

Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmm, a mystery.....
O.K., how about a collapsed cat?
BUT - I am still concerned about your comment that the waste gate does not open. Are you sure? I still maintain that if that is correct, you have found your problem. Put a pair of vice grips on the shaft of the modulator and see if you can move it, it will be hard to move even if not seized. If not, it may be seized, and can be smacked with a hammer gently a few times, and lubricated with a bit of graphite to get it moving again.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 AM
8th Gear

The waste gate is Ok a little compressed air opens it. If you hold the gate open with the engine running it makes no difference. There is no cat on it. Stripped all the wiring harness from the ecu and cleaned and refitted as well as injector harness. Did a continuity test on every cable. Some oil in ecu plug which was cleaned out. I think the next step is send the ecu away for test. If you rev it there is no smoke from the exhaust which means its not getting enough fuel. It does not misfire. Press the starter from cold without glow plugs and it jumps straight into life and sounds perfect.

Quick Reply: TD5 engine starts and sounds good but no power