Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tech ? abt rovacom

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tech ? abt rovacom

I bought this 96 disco about a month ago, first rover owner here. On my long list of problems I have this idle/stall issue. I have been trying to diag this forever. What I am wondering is there a way to reset/ relearnthe ECU w/o a rovacom, will grounding the battery leads or disconnecting the batteryput my values back to default? I have been told I need a Rovacom to due this. That would be hard since I am on a remote island without a dealership.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: tech ? abt rovacom

You dont need RoverCam. What is the issue? How many miles on the trk?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can do it without a rovacom BUT I have heard the (magical) way of doing it is not recommended. You have to unhook this and that and it could cause problems with the ECU.

Now if you wanna be all professional about it you can get the rovacon for a bit cheaper (it still not cheap in my book). They provide the software and stuff and all you have to do it buy the connectors and such, it says you can do it for under $2000... But is it really worth it? Check out this website:

http://www.maxland.com/ROVACOM.htm

Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

We need more info. What is the trk doing? It is probally a really cheap fix.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
4wd Low

the discovery has 80k, i have had it for about a month and drive it to work and back which is abt a mile each way. One of the many issues is a rough idle/ stall that occurs when it warms up. Now I have an unstable idle all the time, which also leads to a stall on occasion. I will be at 600-800rpm then jump to 1500 or 2000 for a bit and if i am really lucky it will go to 400 or just stall. I also have a miss on my #4. The miss is always there, sometimes throws a 304 and a 1316, but only after the motor has warmed a little. I have tried cleaning my intake, seafoam induction, removed and cleaned my stepper motor twice, checked hoses, treated gas, cleaned MAF, and stuff like that. This biggest improvement was when I filled up for the first time, topped off with 92. Immediately after the issue wasn't as bad, but still causes a stall and poor idle. What I was wondering since I haven't had the vehicle for years and don't know its characteristics, is creating a baseline to diag from. Also I dont know the learn times or learn cycles for the ecu, i dont even know what components utilize this. For example, if I replace the TPS, will the ecu auto calibrate instantlly to normal values, or will I have to wait twenty hot starts and a sunny day. Quick fix is what I hope for, but I dont have the resources to buy something I dont need. Hopefully this clarifies on why I am looking to reset the ecu.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

The ECU on your trk is not that smart. If something fails it goes to default, when you replace the bad part it goes back to normal.
You need a new idle control valve. Not just cleaning it, but replace it.
You MUST use premium gas all the time.
Give it a good tune up, new plugs and wires. I used Denso Iridium plugs and AutoZone wires. I dont recommend those wires, but bet the farm on the plugs. (I have a '97)
There are only three reasons these trk's will not run, bad idle control valve, bad fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator.
These trks are stupid, the ECU can usually be reset by disconnecting the battery and waiting an hour or so.
They learn over a short period of time. But that is also one of the nice things about these, they learn fast.
NEVER clean the MAF, you will destroy it.
Replace the stepper motor, give it a good tune up and 90% of your problems will go away.
But what you describe is classic idle control valve going bad. Cleaning it isint enough, it has to be replaced.
And you do not need ROVERCOM.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:48 PM
4wd Low

new stepper motor is on the way, btw we have only NAPA here, and before I aquiredthe roverit recently had a napa tune up. Im guessing thats were my #4 miss is coming from. Oh do I miss autozone..... Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

See, I hate AutoZone, but you cant beat their prices. The guys on here recommend Magnacor plugwires, that it what I will use next time.
I bet new wires cure your mis-fire.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
4wd Low

yeah, i think i am going to try magnacors, but I still don't kow if i am going to keep this, I might be better off unloading it. But the stupid truck keeps growin on me for some reason, and the wife and kid like it, other than the flooding that occurs when it rains, or it stalling at a stop sign while going up a hill with some jerk off on my rear.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

These trks are like meth, once you try it you are hooked.
Heres a tip, remove the emblem from the rear door and spray lube on the latch/handle once a month or so. The latch will stick on you wont beable to open/close the door.

Quick Reply: tech ? abt rovacom