Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirma diff guards, pics or instructions anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Terrafirma diff guards, pics or instructions anyone?

They came with both guards, 2 plates and 2 baggies of bolts, and no instructions.

The guards have part numbers on stickers so I know which is front and rear, the plates are the same and the baggies of bolts come with 4 bolts and 4 washers, (2 big black bolts and washers that fit, and 2 smaller silver bolts with washers that fit).

Anyone have pics of them installed or a copy of instructions you can email/post to me? Hand tight or anyone know the torque specs? Do the top two diff bolts have to come out and put back on (as it almost appears in mockup) why not provided longer bolts if so... thanks all!

Old 11-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The smaller piece goes into the back of the diff with the screws from the diff to retain it. The small piece goes over the diff, now place up the big piece (the one with the cut on the left side goes on the front) and the two smaller bolts will go into the top of it, thread them in loosely, and then do the same with the bigger bolts on the backside of the differential. Tighten down and that should be about it.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
The smaller piece goes into the back of the diff with the screws from the diff to retain it. The small piece goes over the diff, now place up the big piece (the one with the cut on the left side goes on the front) and the two smaller bolts will go into the top of it, thread them in loosely, and then do the same with the bigger bolts on the backside of the differential. Tighten down and that should be about it.
What he said. Don't feel bad. I originally installed the front diff guard on the rear diff and rear guard on the front diff. It was PITA trying to get those guards to fit. I finally broke down and shot a fellow forum member a text only for him to tell me I had them on the wrong diffs. Thanks Zach.

Oh yeah, take note on the position of weight that mounts to the rear diff. I keep installing it upside down.

Last edited by coors; 11-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
What he said. Don't feel bad. I originally installed the front diff guard on the rear diff and rear guard on the front diff. It was PITA trying to get those guards to fit. I finally broke down and shot a fellow forum member a text only for him to tell me I had them on the wrong diffs. Thanks Zach.

Oh yeah, take note on the position of weight that mounts to the rear diff. I keep installing it upside down.
I did the same thing, I fortunately figured it out before I put the second one on. You will also learn to hate that stupid rear diff weight.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alright did an oil change today and poked around, makes sense now. the two small bolts are obviously to connect the small plate to the main piece... but are the two large bolts it comes with supposed to REPLACE the ones that you take out of the top of the diff, or the 2 at the bottom? think they would come with FOUR LONGER bolts for this purpose, no?

Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
alright did an oil change today and poked around, makes sense now. the two small bolts are obviously to connect the small plate to the main piece... but are the two large bolts it comes with supposed to REPLACE the ones that you take out of the top of the diff, or the 2 at the bottom? think they would come with FOUR LONGER bolts for this purpose, no?
Two large bolts hold the diff guard into the two holes under the diff. You remove the two top bolts where the 3rd goes into the axle housing and put the plate on, then put the bolts back in.