Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TF 2" Lift Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TF 2" Lift Install Help

So I watched all the videos and read the instructions multiple times, but of course I hit a snag right out of the gate. Installing the TerraFirma 2" springs and shocks with TF skeleton shock towers from the ground ... no lift available. I removed the shock and tower with little issue, but cannot get the spring out, even using spring compressors. I can't see that anything is hung up, it just seems to not have enough travel. From the ground I don't know what else I can do. The instructions don't mention disconnecting the sway bar, but it seems like that might free up some movement. I've attached a couple pics ... hopefully they expose my ignorance and lead to a simple solution. The guy on the AB video just pulls it out of there like he has all the play in the world. I'm not even close! I was hoping to knock this out over the weekend.

The stand on the left isn't supporting the axle, just under there for safety.

I even leveraged the arm and the frame to try to get more drop.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

disconnecting the sway bar helps a lot. Also, take the stock bottle jack to force the axle lower to make it easier. I have installed 2 sets of 3-4" springs with no spring compressors using the method described.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

The silver jack stand isn't under the axle is it?? Both jack stands should be on the frame, axle should be left hanging. OEM coils should just fall out once the shock is disconnected and the axle is at full drop. I only use a LR bottle jack between the frame & axle when installing the new taller coils.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM
Overlanding

The silver jack is below ... safety just in case! Per the TF printed instructions, the other wheel is still on; I did try putting the jack on that side and compressing the opposite spring, but to no avail. I'll try taking it off first, then the bottle jack.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Once I have the vehicle up on jack stands with the wheels off the ground (lug nuts broke loose) I remove the tires, and go to work. Axle isn't going to go anywhere as the control arms are connected to it along with the sway bars. With the axle at full drop the coils should be almost completely unseated. Since the lower spring perch bolts had to come out to remove the shock you should be able to remove the lower spring perch plate and then the coil will drop down onto the axle tube, then pull out from the top and it's outta there.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:56 AM
Overlanding

Gonna wait till it gets above freezing today before I jump back in, but I noticed that the new front springs are slightly different heights? Maybe 1/2". Is that normal? Will they compress and ride the same?

Old 01-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Spring should have tags on them making location. Usually, drivers side springs will be a tad taller.

The following users liked this post:
OkraKing (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM
Overlanding

This sucks. Both wheels off, still no where near enough room. I was able to remove drivers side using compressors, but I'll never get bigger springs on at this rate. What am I missing?

Not even close!

Driveshaft is nearly bottomed out on the cross member

Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

jack up the far side of the axle or use the bottle jack to push the side you are working on down (the axle and frame have spots that should be obvious as to where to put the jack)...

Also you can pull that cross member out with no ill effects but that is a different story and more work that you don't need right now.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:32 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
jack up the far side of the axle or use the bottle jack to push the side you are working on down (the axle and frame have spots that should be obvious as to where to put the jack)...

Also you can pull that cross member out with no ill effects but that is a different story and more work that you don't need right now.
this
I had the same problem. Get your small bottle jack and use it to push the axle down enough to remove springs. It becomes super super easy

Quick Reply: TF 2" Lift Install Help