Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks everyone... including 'The Rover Shop"

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks everyone... including 'The Rover Shop"

I just want to thank everyone for all the posts concerning ' Dead battery"... My 20 yr old daughters 2000 dII 's battery died last night and of course she called me... She also mentioned that triple A had come by as she called them to get the car open... yea, idiots could not open it but broke a side window plastic piller trim and cut loose most of the passenger side door seal. I told her "do not try to open the truck until we can get power to it. I read threw the forums here and found that the jumping of the starter was the best bet. On my way to go by picking some stuff up from a friend i decided to stop by a independent rover place as they are near me as well as my daughters car was stuck. Small but very layed out place with some great looking trucks being worked on as well as sitting. I was drouling over a black defender and he also had a 130 as well. the gentelman asked me what he could do for me. His name is Shane and the owner. Very nice Aussi guy who really seemed to know his stuff. I explained my problem and he agreed with the jumping of the starter but said i would not need a charger but jumper cables would work fine. He said my problem would be getting the positive jumper cable connector to fit up there as there is not alot of space. He walked me back and handed me a 2 foot piece of wire with tiny clips on both ends. Take it he said, i said what, he said...take it.... I told him i would return it and he said no problem.. I was completly taken by the gesture. went to my daughters truck..hooked up jumper and connected to my DII and bingo alarm light 2 horn honks ..hiot the unlock button and bingo..access. opened hoon jumped from my truck and she was on her way to pep boys for a new battery. This is the kind of people i want working on my truck. These are the kind of people you will find in the rover world...or well hope you do. I am sending my daughter there instead of the dealer to get her door lock and new keys sorted out as well as other thinks i just cant do in the driveway. I would recommend this shop to everyone as i would say there are top notch. Check out there website as they seem to be a pretty extensive rover shop. Thanks Shane...

All the best Chris..

I will be down to return your cable as well as with beer in hand

http://www.therovershop.com/

The service engine light also went off.. I sent her to Pep boys and they replaced the battery the correct way without having it lose power... not to bad for a monday

Last edited by vandev; 05-03-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs up the magic part

Here is the magic part to get current to the starter. You only need touch it and have someone with the remote in hand pressing the unlock button. Once unlocked, take of magic part and open hood and jump normaly. Go to auto store like Pep Boys, and have them change battery with truck running so not to loose codes or superlock.. Worked like a charm.

Later, Chris

Attached Thumbnails Thanks everyone... including  'The Rover Shop"-starter-jumper.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Here is the magic part to get current to the starter. You only need touch it and have someone with the remote in hand pressing the unlock button. Once unlocked, take of magic part and open hood and jump normaly. Go to auto store like Pep Boys, and have them change battery with truck running so not to loose codes or superlock.. Worked like a charm.

Later, Chris
I was told that if you disconnect the battery with the engine running it will damage the alternator.

I changed the battery in my Discovery I with the truck off, had no code or alarm problems.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Thumbs up additional battery

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I was told that if you disconnect the battery with the engine running it will damage the alternator.

I changed the battery in my Discovery I with the truck off, had no code or alarm problems.

They had a additional battery connected while they switched the old one. I wasnt sure how dead the battery was so i told her to tell them to try to keep it running with another battery connected. It worked great.

Thanks chris