Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks guys!

I had a 300 mile round trip this past weekend which really freaked me out as I didn't know if my 1999 DII would make it as it has been a pain lately with all these issues popping up, but I made it successfully.

A few things I notice though that I would like some input on though is:

1) After about 10 minutes of driving it feels pretty sluggish.
2) After about 70 mph it seems much smoother.
3) I have this annoying ticking sound, how easy is it to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, or what other problems can this be.
4) What are some cheap, easy to replace parts that are usually over looked that I can start replacing that probably have never been replaced yet?
5) What is the best oil for -4 to -10 degrees F

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

-An easy way to find an exhaust leak is to have a helper cover the tail pipe for a second and feel for exhaust being pushed out around the gaskets. Don't cover the pipe for more than a few seconds at a time and have the helper wear long sleeves, gloves, and use a folded towel so they don't get burned. If you feel air being pushed out then either the gasket is bad or you might be able to just tighten it up.

-The gaskets are not hard to replace but people up north have had problems breaking rusted nuts and bolts. I guessing that since you are also asking about sub zero oil you are up north. You might want to buy new hardware with the gaskets and just replace them also if you find a leak.

-I live just south of San Antonio, Tx and last year I think our low was in the high 20's so I'll let one of the other members that live up north answer the oil question. (My guess is 5w-40 would be fine)

-Things to check and replace:
1) Crank shaft position sensor
2) Battery if old
3) drain and add new coolant
4) new gear oil in the diffs and T-Case if you haven't changed it recently
5) spark plugs
6) Check plug wires at night for any arcing
7) Air filter

-The sluggish slow starts could be just normal disco slowness or a number of other things. Are you getting any trouble codes (check engine light on)?

Last edited by Jared9220; 09-02-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to replace the battery just because it probably is a few years old, and it is a 750cca, so I was thinking about putting in a new 1000cca.

I just replaced my waterpump, belt and fan clutch, changed the transmission filter and oil, the tcase oil, I put in some great 8mm wires, and I am wondering about the plugs though. I have some Bosch +4 platinum, but was thinking about changing them due to mixed reviews. The air filter is a K&N, so I might just vacuum it up, and clean it out. Also replaced my MAF recently.

I have no codes what so ever as I have replaced everything that was throwing codes. I have about 180k miles on the truck and am hoping to try to keep it as long as possible without it blowing up.

Is there a way to check the CPS? Is it a cheap and easy part to replace?

1) Crank shaft position sensor
2) Battery if old
3) drain and add new coolant
4) new gear oil in the diffs and T-Case if you haven't changed it recently
5) spark plugs
6) Check plug wires at night for any arcing
7) Air filter

Old 09-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The crank shaft position sensor is under $100 and there are only a couple of bolts holding it on. The hard part is reaching the plug to unplug it and for that reason I give this job 3 out of 5 on the difficult rating. I am unaware of any way to tell how much longer it will last, but they do fail at least once on most every truck. It might be worth it to at least keep one around as a spare. When the sensor dies it will leave you stranded. Mine failed on the highway and the car just died. Power steering and braking going out while cruising at 65mph can be scary, in snow it can be deadly.