Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything redeeming about the 2003 model year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 433 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Is there anything redeeming about the 2003 model year?

I see so many of them listed for sale at far lower prices compared to every other model year. Between the oil pump struggles and the total lack of a CDL transfer case, it just doesn't seem like there are many good reasons to buy one, other than, of course, simply wanting a Disco without any interest in having a CDL I suppose. I feel bad for the poor 2003.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I see nothing wrong with an 03 D2. The front cover issues are LONG LONG LONG gone. No way would you have an original defective unit on the road today! They didn't make it past their first oil change let alone at a max of 25K if it some how magically made it that far. All were either fixed with new front covers (if fixed before being sold) or had new P38 engines dropped into them under warranty. CDL wise the TC/ABS system when used properly still whoops a lot of other vehicles traction wise off road. It is a VERY good system, however I can't count how many D2's I've touched and how many had the 3 Amigo's on due to just needing the Option B fix installed. Without the TC/ABS/HDC working properly due to the 3 Amigo's any D2 is seriously crippled in my book. Fix the 3 Amigo's and enjoy a very well designed system!

I've owned 4 03's and I never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I'd buy one if I was in the market for a facelift 03-04 D2. Slapping in a CDL is easy, and you only really need CDL for like level 4 and up trails. Heck ground clearance and tires would be more important vs CDL. I ran some level 4 trails in my 02 Kalahari and I honestly only engaged the CDL maybe 2-3 times. Otherwise I let the TC/ABS/HDC do it's thing and I was right behind the highly modified D90/D1's (I was the only D2 in the Hardcore Group).

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I see nothing wrong with an 03 D2. The front cover issues are LONG LONG LONG gone. No way would you have an original defective unit on the road today! They didn't make it past their first oil change let alone at a max of 25K if it some how magically made it that far. All were either fixed with new front covers (if fixed before being sold) or had new P38 engines dropped into them under warranty. CDL wise the TC/ABS system when used properly still whoops a lot of other vehicles traction wise off road. It is a VERY good system, however I can't count how many D2's I've touched and how many had the 3 Amigo's on due to just needing the Option B fix installed. Without the TC/ABS/HDC working properly due to the 3 Amigo's any D2 is seriously crippled in my book. Fix the 3 Amigo's and enjoy a very well designed system!

I've owned 4 03's and I never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I'd buy one if I was in the market for a facelift 03-04 D2. Slapping in a CDL is easy, and you only really need CDL for like level 4 and up trails. Heck ground clearance and tires would be more important vs CDL. I ran some level 4 trails in my 02 Kalahari and I honestly only engaged the CDL maybe 2-3 times. Otherwise I let the TC/ABS/HDC do it's thing and I was right behind the highly modified D90/D1's (I was the only D2 in the Hardcore Group).
This is what I did. Wanted a SE7 and 03 or 04. Found a really nice 03 and started the build from there including a CDL.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an 03, it's been as reliable as gravity. Yes, it's had it's share of issues with the 3 amigos, but that was just wheel sensors. I would like a CDL for slippery boatramps, but that is it.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an 03 and yeah oil pump replaced, oil leaks oh wait that normal, no amigos yet. Engine has slipped liner or a stupid exhaust leak. But heck we love it and over all way better shape than our 01. Basically paid what it would have cost to buy a half frame, and that wouldn’t have been enough to fix the frame really needed a new one. And the work done on the 03 on fixing things our 01 was going to need anyway.
so yeah we love it

Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I have taken my 03 with no cdl over every trail in Colorado. Maybe if I was in moab I might feel the need.
I don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited by zuke; 08-31-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4

Are you suggesting that with a CDL engaged, the traction control/ABS is overridden?

Old 08-31-2020, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

No I'm saying an 02-03 D2 with just the functioning TC/ABS/HDC is more than capable out on the trail. You have to learn how the system works and once you figure it out the SLABS ECU will take care of the rest. However if the 3 amigo's are present you will not be very happy. The CDL and TC/ABS/HDC combo is truly superb, but the system itself without CDL is also very good.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:41 PM
Mudding
Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Gotcha, thanks.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

no problem

Quick Reply: Is there anything redeeming about the 2003 model year?