Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As there have been a few suspension questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 06:49 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default As there have been a few suspension questions....

I too will be needing to replace my shocks soon. I think they are original, and if not, they need replacing anyway. I saw on some posts that just going with the regular brands and kinds (like Monroe) is OK on these rigs. I'm cool with that. I want a decent ride but still the ability to punish them a little bit for taking her off road on occasion.
So with that, how easy is a DIY suspension job on these? Any specialty equipment needed? I'm thinking it would be fairly easy, but who knows with these!
Also, while doing the shocks anything else that is easy to do while in there?

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Replacing all four shocks is easy.
All you need is basic tools and jack stands.
You may need a strap wrench to keep the front shocks from turning when you loosen the bottom nuts.

Old 02-14-2011 | 07:55 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Replacing all four shocks is easy.
All you need is basic tools and jack stands.
You may need a strap wrench to keep the front shocks from turning when you loosen the bottom nuts.
Thanks and great to know! Maybe we will do a shock-day get-together at my place for the Tri-State folks! Now to start shopping for a good deal on a set. You think the Monroe Sensatrak ones can take a decent beating?

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:05 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Big question here I didn't think about. Does the ACE change the shock requirements or make install harder? Looking on this page, the KYB Shocks show differences for trucks with and w/o self leveling and/or ACE. The Bilstein only shows they are without the self level, and the Monroe doesn't show anything. Thoughts? BTW, I'm a Bilstein fan and if it wasn't too much more I would get those.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._absorber.html

Old 02-14-2011 | 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Looks like you are paying the same price as just getting some Terra Firma shocks. Why not get some good stuff? Check it out at Lucky 8.com I don't work for them, but I ordered parts from them and LOVE the way mine rides now! Just look at the options, especially if you are ever even thinking a lift, it would make sense to only do that once.
As for tools, I did mine in the drive way in 5 hours and 3 beers. So you are working slowly and getting it done, but it was really very straight forward.

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:04 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bikingteacher
Looks like you are paying the same price as just getting some Terra Firma shocks. Why not get some good stuff? Check it out at Lucky 8.com I don't work for them, but I ordered parts from them and LOVE the way mine rides now! Just look at the options, especially if you are ever even thinking a lift, it would make sense to only do that once.
As for tools, I did mine in the drive way in 5 hours and 3 beers. So you are working slowly and getting it done, but it was really very straight forward.
Funny enough I was considering this kit... but don't think I want a lift on her just yet. Might make it tougher to drive on the highways, get in the garage, etc.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...covery-ii.aspx

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:28 PM
Team Owner

These are the shocks I have.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...424_6880_7413_
I take my truck off road.
Eventually I will get "better" shocks but I have a stock height/weight Disco so I dont need the extra "performance" that the off road brands give you.
Unless you are running the Dakar Rally I dont think you need the premium brand stuff, however I have nothing against buying them if thats what you want and can afford.
The kit that Mark went with is a great option, the kits are always cheaper than buying things separately.
If you are looking at doing a lift in a year or more then just go with cheap shocks now and then throw them out and buy the kit later.

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:38 PM
Overlanding

Not on a D2...

"Snafu"
If you want to keep the stock height with a good shock that will hold up, I recommend the Bilstein.

Old 02-14-2011 | 09:38 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

These are the shocks I have.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...424_6880_7413_
I take my truck off road.
Eventually I will get "better" shocks but I have a stock height/weight Disco so I dont need the extra "performance" that the off road brands give you.
Unless you are running the Dakar Rally I dont think you need the premium brand stuff, however I have nothing against buying them if thats what you want and can afford.
The kit that Mark went with is a great option, the kits are always cheaper than buying things separately.
If you are looking at doing a lift in a year or more then just go with cheap shocks now and then throw them out and buy the kit later.
Yep. For the current time, I am using this truck as my ski/snowboard truck, and mountain bike/kayak truck come the warm months. I have always loved off roading, but there are limited areas to play around here anyway. If I do, it will be with a club/group and I'm sure nothing too crazy. I figure stock height is OK for now for my use!
I am thinking about getting a touch of a lift via the tires though. Maybe running 265/60 or 265/65 or 255/65/18 instead of the stock 255/55/18.

Old 02-14-2011 | 10:31 PM
Mudding

Apparently the steering stabilizer goes out and needs to be replaced, OME is a good one.

I did see someone running Monroe shocks with lifetime warranty. Same boat as you, almost 100k and need to do suspension. Would love a lift, but will rarely offroad and use it on lots of long higway rides.

If I replace shocks, what are some springs I can use? If I want to remain stock height?

Quick Reply: As there have been a few suspension questions....