Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's a hole in her heart! (hole in piston)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's a hole in her heart! (hole in piston)

For those that have been following my strip head bolt saga - here is the next hurtle...

The cylinder to the left is where the head gasket was blown significantly. Then there is number 6 here with a hole burned in her. I am getting nervous now. Gotta wonder if that block is cracked...Gotta wonder wth made me want a Rover...

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default hang in there

Originally Posted by audiS4S6
For those that have been following my strip head bolt saga - here is the next hurtle...

The cylinder to the left is where the head gasket was blown significantly. Then there is number 6 here with a hole burned in her. I am getting nervous now. Gotta wonder if that block is cracked...Gotta wonder wth made me want a Rover...

Hey Audi, I would look for a machinest to give you a opinion. Look threw the phone book and look for engine builing shops and take some photos to them to see what they think. it could look finished to us but to them fixable. If you really feel adventurious, check out a company call LA Liners in california. thet make top hat liners. Make it better than it ever was... worst case, find another block.. i may have a 4.0 from my RR i would let go ...

Good luck, chris

http://www.lasleeve.com/master.html

Last edited by vandev; 05-06-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Mudding

Thanks Chris. I am going to pull the piston on Friday night and get a better look.

Greg also gave that link to the block tester. I may buy one or make one up if the #6 sleeve still physically looks okay.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You can easily rebuild that engine if the rest of it looks OK, like the cam, bearings and other pistons. This should not be sleeve related. How many miles on on it?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

the leaking gasket could definitely have caused the burnt piston. 2x on Mike's comments

Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You can easily rebuild that engine if the rest of it looks OK, like the cam, bearings and other pistons. This should not be sleeve related. How many miles on on it?
94k on the engine.

I was hoping to just replace that one piston/rings and get her going again. It depends on what I find in the bore and engine coolant passage leak test.

There is no sludge built up in the top end and the lifter contact patches look like new.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vandev
Hey Audi, I would look for a machinest to give you a opinion. Look threw the phone book and look for engine builing shops and take some photos to them to see what they think. .

Good luck, chris
I just sent the photo over to a local Rover guru (roverlab.com)

I am waiting to see what he recommends.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am interested in seeing what you find upon further inspection. How long had you been running it with the intake leaking , or do you know?

Was it a long term gradual problem that was not very noticeable or did it go thru a sudden change in behavior?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I am interested in seeing what you find upon further inspection. How long had you been running it with the intake leaking , or do you know?

Was it a long term gradual problem that was not very noticeable or did it go thru a sudden change in behavior?
Danny - this is the pig I drove home from Pittsburgh! 200+ miles of puking oil and water plus whatever the PO did.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can you out......I have almost new. Less than 100 miles 4.6 pistons , recon rods and crank and cam to turn your 4.0 into a 4:6:...id love to move these parts since I don't have a use for them.... I paid 800 just for the pistons..... I,d let the whole lot go for 250 plus shipping

Quick Reply: There's a hole in her heart! (hole in piston)