Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat failure and questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat failure and questions

Last night was a drag. Driving along in my 2004 D2 and while stopped at a light the charge light comes and it dies. Starts up and as I pull over within a few meters to have a look the belt squeals and I lose power steering. About the same time as I get out after turning it off one of the hoses bursts and coolant everywhere. Looking at it the thermostat body broke off at the top, inside a hose. The belt is cut on one side that is obvious. There is still power steering fluid in the res and the fan is stable and would spin easily with my hand.

I know you'll tell me to get under it and look and I will but trying to figure out the possible things until the rain stops. I've read a few posts about the water pump and seizing, overheating, etc. but the timing of the events was fast. I didn't get an alarm on the ultra gauge as far as I know so not sure if it over heated foirst, the belt caused it or something else.

Anyone care to speculate? And easiest way to troubleshoot?

Thanks. I can work on it with direction but do not have that great mechanic in me/

Old 03-31-2020, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If the serpentine belt is messed up you'll loose all your accessories. Thermostat wise it probably got beat up by the serpentine belt breaking?

Old 03-31-2020, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I’ll second that, the belt broke and took the coolant hose and thermostat with it

Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies. The belt did not break, there is about a 1/4 inch strip of it that was cut or frayed. It appears it might be from one of the clamps on the coolant hose but not sure how that clamp moved enough to be in the path of the fan leading me to believe the thermostat broke before that. So the belt is intact for about 75 percent of it’s width.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My first thermostat when I went to replace it with a 180, disintegrated around the parts where hoses connect. Also maybe overtightened the clamps and cracking the plastic, either way resulting in the pressure popping it off the thermostat and into the belt.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You might want to check your idler and other pulleys... Seen happen before when the Idler pulley fails the belt goes wonky and the water pump stops pushing coolant and the PS stops working and then you overheat... Overheating could have blown apart an old brittle plastic Thermostat. When it happened on our P38 the pressure blew the top radiator hose off.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies guys. I have have a look soon as I can and go from there.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Good time to a replacement with a pullie kit and tensioner. 2 pullies and tensioner sold at Atlantic British. They have a good kit
I tried to source out pullies locally and could not find the smaller pulley. There was quite a bit of confusion at the parts store that’s why getting the kit helps and belt

also bearmach has the black thermostat 78 c stamped. Or Atlantic British has the warm weather thermostat which is another good one

Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,039 Posts

My guess is something siezed - alternator, water pump, or idler pulley. Was it making noise before the charge light came on? Charge light came on because the alternator stopped turning, same for the PS. Belt jumped off and took out the thermostat. I doubt it overheated. Even with no belt on it would probably take 3-5 minutes to overheat at idle or just off idle speed (not highway).

Another good reason for the inline thermostat mod.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:01 PM
Mudding

It was indeed the water pump.

Replaced the pulleys and the water pump, as well as the thermostat. Bleed the system and while it idled at 194 as soon as I got on the road it overheated up to about 212 before I shut it off. Discouraging after doing the work. I will bleed again in the morning and see. Not leaking anywhere and plenty of fluid.

Quick Reply: Thermostat failure and questions