Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about removing my catalytic converter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about removing my catalytic converter.

I am about to have to replace an exhaust manifold gasket and was considering taking the y-pipe off and taking it to have it removed and replaced with plain pipe. Truck is pushing 150K miles and MPG is horrible. I figure they will go bad eventually anyway. Ive heard that you get better MPG and have more power by not having one. Will I encounter any issues from doing this? I live in Alabama and there is no emmissions to worry about. I doubt there ever will be either...

I also heard that I cant get a lot of money for it as salvage. Is that true?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
I am about to have to replace an exhaust manifold gasket and was considering taking the y-pipe off and taking it to have it removed and replaced with plain pipe. Truck is pushing 150K miles and MPG is horrible. I figure they will go bad eventually anyway. Ive heard that you get better MPG and have more power by not having one. Will I encounter any issues from doing this? I live in Alabama and there is no emmissions to worry about. I doubt there ever will be either...

I also heard that I cant get a lot of money for it as salvage. Is that true?
I'm not going to comment on the environmental impact or MPG gain, but I can assure you the factory cats are worth some coin. I recently sold mine online (it was a simple fast process) for about $379. The company is based in PA they operate under the name S.C.R.A.P.

When viewing prices you should know you have a large exotic and a small exotic.

http://www.sellyourcatsdirect.com

Last edited by coors; 08-27-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not entirely sure you will get better mpg's by removing the cats in a discovery. It might even get worse.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
I'm not going to comment on the environmental impact or MPG gain, but I can assure you the factory cats are worth some coin. I recently sold mine online (it was a simple fast process) for about $379. The company is based in PA they operate under the name S.C.R.A.P.

When viewing prices you should know you have a large exotic and a small exotic.

SellYourCatsDirect.com - We buy scrap catalytic converters nationwide!
I am going to check this out. I replaced my cats with magnaflow a month or two ago and the local scrap shop only wanted to give me $80. I heard they were worth more so I passed on there deal and from what you've just said I was right in doing so.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Took my cats off last winter for a month. Milage was worse and codes were plenty. this was even with o2 sensor extenders.

truck was also loud. I did get a lost of money for my cats on ebay. I think about $300 for both.

I ended up throwing some cheapo cats on and it's be great ever since.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

There are only a handful of Rover cats that command the kind of money Coors got for his. Trust me. I recycle a lot of Rover cats. The place he mentions for recycling goes by Land Rover part number and weight for determining worth. Most Land Rover cats are worth significantly less than the $$379/pr he got.

This is not said to discourage people but to give them a more realistic expectation. The fact is, the majority of DII cats (and I'm talking pairs, not individually) will be worth a little more than $200. If you're dealing with SCRAP, figure in a cost of approximately $20 to ship them to the recycler and you're at or below $200 for a pair. That's a more common and realistic figure for a pair of Rover cats.

Now if your cats are rattling and the downstream screen is missing, chances are it will be worth even less money. If the cat is aftermarket SCRAP probably won't even take it.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:28 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
I'm not entirely sure you will get better mpg's by removing the cats in a discovery. It might even get worse.
I have a 97 discovery and the guy work in on it left it out side and they stolen the catalytic con.. Do I have to replace it I don't need emis test. Any more

Old 12-28-2022, 10:34 AM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

Hi Roberto. You should post this in the Disco 1 section of this forum, you are in Disco 2.
I think your Disco will run fine without Cats. You will need to have a plan of what to do with your downstream O2 sensors. You may get CEL codes for bad Cats, which you can clear with a cheap scanner.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

GEMS is very very lazy when it comes to reporting O2 sensor faults. If you sit at idle for long periods yes it will set 1187/1193 fault codes. However if you get in & drive it = will hardly if at all set any O2 sensor faults.

My XD which I off road often doesn't have any cats & it only sets off faults when at idle out on the trails.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:21 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing cats

I was told that if I put a pipe in place of the cat it would be load even with mufler

Quick Reply: Thinking about removing my catalytic converter.