Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my Disco II. What should I list it for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 03:07 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thinking about selling my Disco II. What should I list it for?

Like the title says, I just picked up a new truck and don't really have a use for the Disco anymore so I'm considering selling it. What do you think I should list it for? I've done A TON of stuff to it since I've had it which has really only been about 4000 miles. to list a few but not all:

General Stuff:
- replaced front wheel hubs
- installed Extinct's inline thermostat mod with 180 degree thermostat.
- replaced all coolant hoses with Gates hoses and jubilee clamps as well as a new fill tank then flushed and replaced with Peak green coolant.
- replaced valve cover gaskets and cleaned rockers, lifters, and push rods.
- replaced oil pan gasket and oil change (Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 and Mobil 301 filter)
- Transmission filter, gasket, and fluid change (Valvoline Max Life) *done 200 miles ago*
- Brake fluid flushed and replaced with Pentosin Super DOT4.
- Steering fluid flushed and replaced with Pentosin CHF 11s and Lucas Steering fluid additive.
- changed front and rear diff fluid (75W-90) and replaced plastic fill plugs with brass ones.
- cleaned intake manifold, throttle body and new throttle body gasket.
- new MAF sensor.
- Brass PCV modification.
- New NGK Iridium Spark plugs and wires with Kevlar heat protectors.
- New GMB water pump and heavy duty fan clutch.
- Replaced all U-joints with MOOG serviceable U-Joints on drive shaft.

Upgrades:
- Terrafirma brake calipers and stainless hoses.
- Terrafirma TF255 Heavy Duty steering track rod, drag link, and tie rod ends.
- ARB front bumper with light bar.
- UltraGuage EM Plus V1.4.
- Extended spare tire carrier.
- 2” terrafirma lift with coil overs and wheel spacers.
- Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT275/65R18.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

What's the HG history? How is the rear frame rust? Assuming recent HG and no rear frame rust I would estimate the truck to be worth between $10-15k. Miles are a little high without a complete rebuild but you have a great set of accessories. You may want to put it on BAT or Cars and Bids.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Extinct
What's the HG history? How is the rear frame rust? Assuming recent HG and no rear frame rust I would estimate the truck to be worth between $10-15k. Miles are a little high without a complete rebuild but you have a great set of accessories. You may want to put it on BAT or Cars and Bids.
Great to see your reply and shoutout to your thermostat mod, I have yet to get above 185 since install. Pervious owner said they did HG but no proof of it being done. The whole frame is in great shape, previous owner had it undercoated and it’s held up well, let alone the patented Land Rover oil undercoat . Thanks, I’ll check out BAT and Card and Bids.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

I'm going to come in a little lower...based on headliner/interior, cowl crack, lack of head gasket replacement info and engine compartment.

8.5/9K

Good luck with sale.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'm going to come in a little lower...based on headliner/interior, cowl crack, lack of head gasket replacement info and engine compartment.

8.5/9K

Good luck with sale.
Thanks! Didn’t notice the cowl crack until you pointed it out. That’s a shame.. Prior owner said they did head gasket but no real proof of it, so going off of word and no issues insofar. Planning on cleaning up the engine compartment and reshooting photos before listing.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Nice truck, looks clean - I’d say its worth about $7-7.5k in a local market. Obviously would price a little higher than that.

Here is how I get there:
Most of the items are general maintenance. Disco with good maintenance with moderate mileage with some minor flaws= $5k
Mods, particularly the ARB bumper = $2-2.5k

You could try for Bring a Trailer, but I don’t think they would take it with the mileage. Cars and Bids I think would be an option. Might be able to get more from there. Best of luck.

The Deputy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
Nice truck, looks clean - I’d say its worth about $7-7.5k in a local market. Obviously would price a little higher than that.

Here is how I get there:
Most of the items are general maintenance. Disco with good maintenance with moderate mileage with some minor flaws= $5k
Mods, particularly the ARB bumper = $2-2.5k

You could try for Bring a Trailer, but I don’t think they would take it with the mileage. Cars and Bids I think would be an option. Might be able to get more from there. Best of luck.
Thanks Aaron, that’s what I was figuring on the other stuff. The main upgrades are the lift and spacers to fit the Nitto’s, Terrafirma shocks, brakes, and steering components, ARB bumper, and light bar. Everything else is reliability stuff (Extinct’s thermostat mod, cooling system overhaul, etc.) and maintenance items.

The Deputy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Paint & headliner = easiest stuff to deal with especially on a LR. The mechanical/electrical/frame/body condition is the #1 thing that is $$$$$$$. I'm weird I guess but I don't buy any LR with less than 100K on it. It would have to be a barn find, but anything at a dealer or a person selling = I'll skip right on past it as it's obvious that LR did more sitting than moving.

From all the crap I'm seeing for sale these days I'd say a good detail job, (try to fix or cover the stain on the floor), and honestly you can find someone to redo the headliner for like 150-200.00 easy if you do the hard part and remove it from the D2. Being clean adds a lot to the value. Service records are good, but not always needed. You can usually spot a good HG job by the marked HG bolts, or the heads will be cleaner than the block. If the engine grime is the same from top to bottom then it's probably never been apart.

Not saying that's a bad thing my Kalahari with 245K on it has never been apart and runs great. I do plan on tearing into it in 2022 for a reseal, HG job, new crowler cam, new lifters, new front timing cover gasket, or going wild and slapping in a 4.6L I have in my shop along with an HP24 and then hitting the 300-350K mark with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
The Deputy (12-31-2021), XFactor (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Agree with Best, look at the head bolts closely. Photos of the markings on the head bolts, level of rust. Close up photo of the exposed HG at the block junction on pass side - surface texture is sometimes different if aftermarket hg are used. Photo from below at the head/block junction. Usually heads are cleaned when off. Also check the wire harness bolt on the back of the cylinder heads, they are rarely re-attached with a HG job. PO forum member? Check his post. Did you check the carfax? HG job might be there.

The Deputy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,156 Likes on 624 Posts

It could be a good one. no SAI. no sunroofs. This is a good Disco to sell for high $ but you have to market it correctly. My advice if you want to get all the $ for this truck:

-- replace interior headliner (a pro not you if you've never done it before) , 400 bucks
-- replace plastic hood / windshield cowl (I didn't see in pics but posts above say cracked), 350-400 if you do yourself
-- detail engine compartment, esp cleaning the debris fields near the cowl, do it yourself
-- Add the missing upper windshield molding. Sucks because theoretically this needs to be put on the windshield before it's iosntalled but I think you can shove it in? It's like 100 bucks
-- have a pro detail it interior and exterior, fully, 400 bucks
-- Replace the missing fasteners (I see 2 missing but the other 2 prob are as well) on the upper plastic radiator fan guard underhood.
-- go to a junkyard and get a correct rubber 2nd row rear floor mat, not fronts in the back. is that water or oil on the carpet btw?.
-- remove the stickers on the back windows and front bumper / guard (they sell cars about as well as dogs sell houses), do it yourself.
-- Replace any missing interior bits -- the armrest tan piece on pass seat and the pass seat inner seat trim piece I see are missing. These are easy to source on ebay or pick n pull etc
-- take actual legit good pictures in a good place (maybe pay a photog 400)

So if you spend ~1650-1700 you will get a lot of money for this Disco (I'd estimate 18-20K) ** if ** it does not have a rusted frame and it's in full mechanically sorted condition.

People want D2's without sunroofs, lower miles, no rust and with leather. That's rare. You have 3. Maybe all 4 if no rust.

Last edited by nashvegas; 12-31-2021 at 09:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nashvegas:
The Deputy (12-31-2021), whowa004 (01-03-2022), XFactor (12-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my Disco II. What should I list it for?