Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 2002 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on this 2002 Disco?

Hi all,

Looking for my first Disco. Interested in this one:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...305387158.html

Few pluses:
  • clean carfax (9,650 value estimate)
  • extensive service records, lots of recent work done (16k)
  • fairly low mileage
  • only 3 owners (maybe this isn't so great?)
  • I like these lights more than 03/04 (weird, I know!)
  • paint is excellent, mostly been garaged
  • 5 seats, plenty of room in the back for cargo
Some concerns:
  • 4.0 V8 rather than feistier 4.6
  • no CLD. Not sure if I care about this if I'm not doing lots of serious offroading?
  • price is on higher side -- but it seems to make sense, as the ones I'm seeing for $5k seem like they might need $5k in work to get in this condition?
  • generally speaking, due to lack of CLD, 4.0, and lacking 03/04 lights, there seems to be lower demand for these. concerned this will hurt resale/equity over the longterm?
  • 5 seats, would be fun to carry 7 people (i know, i know i'm torn on this -- tradeoffs!)
Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by DanJC; 04-17-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Some thoughts:
1) With no “serious” off roading in your plans the lack of a CDL isn’t a big deal. The traction control system is pretty good, especially once you understand the technique to use it effectively.
2) The lack of 03/04 lights won’t hurt future value because, well...it’s not an 03/04 model year truck. I have a ‘99 and while plenty of folks like the facelifted headlights to me they just seem like one more pain to work with.
3) Again, having the 4.0 won’t hurt residuals because the 02 didn’t have the 4.6. Someone else will chime in on this but it doesn’t seem to me that the 4.6 is that much better than the 4.0 (but I have the 4.0 so maybe that’s just wishful thinking). Plus I’ve heard that the 4.6 is a little more fragile.
4) The 7 seat option seems like a personal preference. Do you often need to haul 6 other people around? If you do the disco might not be the best choice...it’s pretty cramped for people in the back.
5) Maintenance records drive a lot of the value with these trucks and is probably a big reason why it’s priced higher than the comps. Plus it has a couple of factory options (brush bar, running boards, and rear cargo cover). Overall it looks good, but honestly 10k is a lot to spend on (any) 20 year old vehicle. Will this be your daily driver?

Old 04-17-2021, 10:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by greisinb
Some thoughts:
1) With no “serious” off roading in your plans the lack of a CDL isn’t a big deal. The traction control system is pretty good, especially once you understand the technique to use it effectively.
2) The lack of 03/04 lights won’t hurt future value because, well...it’s not an 03/04 model year truck. I have a ‘99 and while plenty of folks like the facelifted headlights to me they just seem like one more pain to work with.
3) Again, having the 4.0 won’t hurt residuals because the 02 didn’t have the 4.6. Someone else will chime in on this but it doesn’t seem to me that the 4.6 is that much better than the 4.0 (but I have the 4.0 so maybe that’s just wishful thinking). Plus I’ve heard that the 4.6 is a little more fragile.
4) The 7 seat option seems like a personal preference. Do you often need to haul 6 other people around? If you do the disco might not be the best choice...it’s pretty cramped for people in the back.
5) Maintenance records drive a lot of the value with these trucks and is probably a big reason why it’s priced higher than the comps. Plus it has a couple of factory options (brush bar, running boards, and rear cargo cover). Overall it looks good, but honestly 10k is a lot to spend on (any) 20 year old vehicle. Will this be your daily driver?
These are really insightful and clarifying responses. Thank you. I'll definitely ponder them.

This would not be a daily driver. Second car, used mostly for local kayaking/hiking trips. Occasional camping treks a big farther out. Rare long load trip. My guess would average 3-5k per year.

I agree that 10k is a lot for a 20 year old car, but if I'm buying a Discovery 2 (which I'm pretty set on), it seems the options are either pay a solid chunk of change for something in great shape, or take the risk on a $3k-$6k that I'd probably need to drop $5k+ on to get up to speed (plus all the annoyance and hassle).

Going into this, my assumptions are that 1) I keep the truck for 10 years, 2) I drive it ~30k-50k miles, 3) My total expenses (not counting gas or insurance) are ~$20-25k, less whatever I sell it for at the end. Of course, I just might keep it until they cancel my license from old age!

If the general consensus is that the factors I mentioned don't really hurt its longterm value (as you propose), then I think this is a pretty good deal for me.

Last edited by DanJC; 04-17-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

It actually sounds like we have pretty similar use cases in terms of how we use the vehicle. In which case I think that the truck will suit you well. In light of that there are one or two more things that I have to add:
1) Don’t worry about the 7 seats, instead of those you will find the storage compartments way more useful for camping gear or whatever else you bring along.
2) Start searching out a good roof rack solution for your kayak. The D2 in the ad doesn’t have the full length roof rails so you’re going to have to seek out a full solution for that. Make sure you consider how to get the kayak down, the D2 is a tall vehicle!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

CDL wise before either of my 99 or 02 D2's had the 04 linkage and 03-04 SLABS unit installed I took them off roading to Hidden Falls Adventure Park near Marble Falls a couple of times. If you let the TC/ABS do it's thing it works very very very good. It just takes some getting used to. CDL is great in combination with TC/ABS no doubt, but I wouldn't call any 99-03 D2 without CDL worthless off road. 4.0L is fine unless you plan on hauling a fully loaded D2 up into the mountains often. Headlight wise glass will always outlast a plastic lens so I am personally a fan of the 94-02 glass headlight vs the 03-04 plastic units. That D2 looks very clean and well cared for.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

That looks like a well loved Dll.

Me...

l'd take a 4.0 over a 4.6 any day of the week. Granted, bit more power with the 4.6...but not enough to warrent the head aches of slipped liners/block isses.

Head lights, glass beats plastic any day of the week. Yeah, styling-wise...the 03/04 do look a little better (in my opinion)...but not enough to warrent looking at steamy/fogged over plastic all the time. Yes, new ones are available for 5 bills a piece.

CDL no big deal, if you don't extreme off road. TC is plenty enough to get you where you need to go, under normal trail riding.

Price seems fine, considering amount of work done and condition and location.

Seven or five seater is a preference only you can answer. We have both and have never ever used the rear seats. Me, l prefer storage...but we don't have young kids...only three grandkids...should have more...but my two useless sons don't plan on having kids...so the family name dies with them...come to think of it...next time l see them l'm kicking them square in the *****...since they aren't going to use them for anything constructive. Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent there...lol.

Back on topic...knowing what l know now about these Dll's and how fast repair cost can escalate...l'd pay 10K no problem for a well maintained one.

The following 4 users liked this post by The Deputy:
B Strife (04-18-2021), DanJC (04-19-2021), jastutte (04-19-2021), whowa004 (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 07:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard enough getting in the second row. I can’t imagine a 3rd row getting much use. I like the storage space.

The following users liked this post:
DanJC (04-19-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 439 Likes on 299 Posts

any used vehicle is a crapshoot...but this one looks to be a better deal....if it grenades, you have all those new parts for your next one!

DanJC (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 04:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I started looking at this when I was looking for mine, I think it gives you an idea of the range of stuff out there.
There are a LOT of them in 3-4K range and very nice ones fetch low 10s.
Get a pre-purchase inspection on any LR you buy, it's worth the money.

https://carsandbids.com/search/land-rover/discovery

DanJC (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, everyone!

Turns out there was an issue w/ the engine, and seller decided to take off market to repair. Oh well!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 2002 Disco?