Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Some more pics of that bumper

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I like it, and have always doubted that brush guards are useful.

I mean has a brush guard actually ever saved someone from damage? Even driving through brush, the side of the truck will get all scratched to sh@@, so what's the point?
Down here in Texas the brush gaurd helps keep the cows from dinging up the grill and headlights when you bump them. They also make a great handhold for aging Disco owners as they endeavor to get up from the garage floor after an oil change!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks awesome and about as close to stock as you can go with a steel bumper like that.

Did you get a weight for that bumper?

P.S. - I hit a deer with a brush guard on a Toyota pickup at like 30mph and didn't get one mark on the truck. I have also used it for pushing people out of my parking spot - LOL.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rj95lss
I think it looks awesome and about as close to stock as you can go with a steel bumper like that.

Did you get a weight for that bumper?

P.S. - I hit a deer with a brush guard on a Toyota pickup at like 30mph and didn't get one mark on the truck. I have also used it for pushing people out of my parking spot - LOL.

Bumper weighs 108lbs and about 150lbs shipped. 4mm steel construction.
It's from Bearmach over across the pond.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it rated for airbags? It would suck to get it on and your airbags not pop in a collision. These trucks are so rigid, bags are needed if you don't want to give the steering wheel a big kissy.

That said, I have always like that bumper.

and as for the brush guard, I broke both signal indicators hitting brush at the ranch. Yes, the limbs will scratch the side, but it will keep you from buying new indicators every time you go out. I also replaced my serpentine in the parking lot of the parts house and didn't touch the ground. I could just grab the bar and swing under the truck to route the new belt. didn't get dirty!

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 09-29-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Is it rated for airbags? It would suck to get it on and your airbags not pop in a collision. These trucks are so rigid, bags are needed if you don't want to give the steering wheel a big kissy.

That said, I have always like that bumper.

and as for the brush guard, I broke both signal indicators hitting brush at the ranch. Yes, the limbs will scratch the side, but it will keep you from buying new indicators every time you go out. I also replaced my serpentine in the parking lot of the parts house and didn't touch the ground. I could just grab the bar and swing under the truck to route the new belt. didn't get dirty!
Yeah I never asked about the air bags! I am liking the bumper more and more...

Where I off road i dont have the kind of brush that can take out the lights. But for added protection am considering these for my rig.

Last edited by jycsalas; 09-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with airbag compatibility is not that the airbags won't go off, it's that they will go off in a minor collision. An airbag-compatible bumper will have a crush can between it and the frame to absorb low-impact collisions without deforming the front frame member and triggering the airbag deployment.

Now, that having been said, I can't wait to really get on my winch and see if it stretches the crush cans in the opposite direction......

Old 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I LOVE the way the ARB looks... And the bursh guard on it is very strong as well, you can not compare that to the brush guards you can buy to work with a stock bumper. Those are simply DAMAGE MULTIPLIERS! Instead of a mean branch taking out a headlight you now have a piece of steel taking out your headlight, fender and hood.

For the more civilian look, you can get one without a winch compartment...

I must also agree that the bumper looks good on the green truck, simply because the green truck looks good with the lift and tires... It just makes the truck complete!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Fuego
For the more civilian look, you can get one without a winch compartment...

I must also agree that the bumper looks good on the green truck, simply because the green truck looks good with the lift and tires... It just makes the truck complete!

Where can I find such a bumper? As great as the RTE, ARB, high country off road, and bottorf-fabrication bumpers are, they don't help with the look I am after. NOT for me... If I had a second Disco that was a dedicated trail rig then maybe I would get one of those.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few non-winch bumpers that we have done. We do offer them, they just aren't posted to the site yet. All of them have the option for a top mount winch in the future with the add on tray that we sell to house the fairlead.

Take Care,
-Nate

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on this bumper?-nonwinch09-002.jpg   Thoughts on this bumper?-nonwinch09-001.jpg   Thoughts on this bumper?-nonwinchc.jpg   Thoughts on this bumper?-alnwb-006.jpg   Thoughts on this bumper?-alnwb-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this bumper?