Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos and Brake Light after cleaning sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Amigos and Brake Light after cleaning sensors

I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery that had intermittent three amigos for about two weeks. After much reading and tinkering, I cleaned the brake sensors on all four wheels. Now I have constant three amigos and the brake light now activates at about 5 mph. I do realize there are 100s of posts on this, but from what I have found I haven't seen a definitive solution to this. I have checked the brake fluid and it is full. Is this simply a stored fault code that needs to be cleared with the reader or something much more serious? Any guidance would very much be appreciated.

Last edited by A boy and his Disco; 08-29-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you mean "cleaned" the brake sensors? Are you referring to the ABS sensor the sits in the hub assembly? If so, did you remove all of the lube from the end of it? If you did, you'll need to do it all over again, and add a generous gob of gear lube to the end of the sensor before putting it back into the hub. It seems to get bad readings from the teeth in the hub if the 1/4" gap between the two is void of lube. That seems to be a pretty consistent fix for people who change the sensor and get the three amigos afterward. I have not heard of it causing the brake light to be on, that something else.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
7th Gear

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the ABS sensor. And I removed all the gear lube. Thank you.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Winching

Give that a try and see if it clears your amigos. However, that's unlikely as I mentioned, this is an issue after someone "replaces" a sensor, due to a fault code pointing at one of the sensors. As to the root of your issue, you need to rent or borrow an abs code reader. I rented this one and was very happy with it:

ABS Amigo V1 USB - Discovery II - RENTAL - Rentals - Tools

This device will get you the actual fault codes which are setting off the amigos. It's the only real way to diagnose this pesky Disco problem. But as I said, won't cost you a dime but your time to redo the sensors with the lube, if it's still not fixed you know the next step.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
7th Gear

Thank you once again. As for the e-brake light, do you think it would be due to me pulling the calipers off and the lines needing to be bled? The pedal was spongy when I initially started it up again but not since.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by A boy and his Disco
Thank you once again. As for the e-brake light, do you think it would be due to me pulling the calipers off and the lines needing to be bled? The pedal was spongy when I initially started it up again but not since.
I should also note that my front passenger side abs sensor was chock full of grease and brake dust, hence the initial cleaning.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Winching

I did have one abs sensor that I removed, cleaned off, lubed, and put back together. Never to see the amigos again. In theory it's totally possible that over time so much lube gets worn away, or polluted with brake dust, that it could send false signals to the ECU.

As for the e-brake light. I too had a very spongy brake pedal when I bought the Disco. I bleed the thing a half a dozen times, in different sequences, before I got the pedal to feel "about" normal. I never saw an e-brake light as a result. You're certain the fluid level is good? Someone else will have to jump in on this one.

Last edited by caymandrew; 08-29-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

When the bearing goes and little pieces start to all off inside and then magnetizes to the sensor, eventually it will physically destroy the sensor. See attached. This was my right rear sensor.

Attached Thumbnails Three Amigos and Brake Light after cleaning sensors-abs-1.jpg   Three Amigos and Brake Light after cleaning sensors-abs-2.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

as far as a spongy pedal if you loosened and lines it need to be bleed to get a firm peddle. have you replaced any of the rubber brake hoses on your truck yet?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM
7th Gear

So some clarification: The brake is no longer spongy, it was just spongy right after I put the calipers back on and started it up, and hasn't been since. After being 100% sure on the fluid levels, I checked again out of paranoia and its still reading at max with the vehicle off. I have not replaced the hoses for approx 30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Three Amigos and Brake Light after cleaning sensors