Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three amigos: Replaced hub and wire...still getting them.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 433 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Three amigos: Replaced hub and wire...still getting them.

Three amigos on deck and the problem as reported by the Nanocom is intermittent signal from the front right sensor. I replaced both hubs today, and of course they came with new wires, and the code is still appearing. Could it be the connection from the connection point in the engine bay to the SLABS unit itself?

Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Why did you replace the hubs?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mln01
Why did you replace the hubs?
The passenger front side hub had significant play on the x and y axes. And with Nanocom pinning the problem on that side, I figured it would resolve the 3 amigos. Replaced both hubs for good measure, they're easy enough to do so figured why not.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

The abs sensor should be clean -
ive changed/serviced hubs and had a little piece of metal shaving stuck to sensor magnet and it will fault reader. It’s a pain but had to get back in there retrace steps and wipe down sensor because as I’ve installed it’s picked up a tiny flake..

also as you say, make sure your two pin connections are tight with no buildup growing in there

Just sharing my experience

Old 02-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
The abs sensor should be clean -
ive changed/serviced hubs and had a little piece of metal shaving stuck to sensor magnet and it will fault reader. It’s a pain but had to get back in there retrace steps and wipe down sensor because as I’ve installed it’s picked up a tiny flake..

also as you say, make sure your two pin connections are tight with no buildup growing in there

Just sharing my experience
OK, so even if they're brand new - like, the sensor came pre-installed - it's possible a metal shaving might have fouled it? I have to get back in there anyway to replace the differential, so I'll pop out the sensor and take a look. Other contact in the engine bay are dry and clean.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

It’s still possible it is the sensor, as maddening as that is.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

A common failure point are the round connectors where the wheel speed sensor plugs into the harness, even with new sensors. Best4x4 has had good luck cutting them out and replacing them with heat shrink-insulated butt connectors. I was headed down that path when I instead tried the fix described in the thread linked below. I't try this before pulling the sensor from the hub.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been dealing with this same issue for over a year. RF sensor signal erratic. 1st I replaced the sensor with a short one off ebay. Worked for a few weeks, then came back. Dealership said it's the hub. AB said it's the hub. Several threads here said it's the hub. Even though there was no apparent play or issue with THE HUB, I bought a new one from AB along with the long, hard-wired-to-SLABS sensor that LR recommends. Worked for about a week, and now it's back. Now, it is setting off the amigos just about every time I drive it. Brake fluid level is where it should be.

Where to next??

Old 03-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been dealing with this same issue for over a year. RF sensor signal erratic. 1st I replaced the sensor with a short one off ebay. Worked for a few weeks, then came back. Dealership said it's the hub. AB said it's the hub. Several threads here said it's the hub. Even though there was no apparent play or issue with THE HUB, I bought a new one from AB along with the long, hard-wired-to-SLABS sensor that LR recommends. Worked for about a week, and now it's back. Now, it is setting off the amigos just about every time I drive it. Brake fluid level is where it should be.

Where to next??

Old 03-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench

I haven’t dealt with this any farther since posting but will have time to dig back into the problem in a week or so when I replace the front differential and have access to the hub and all again. I’ll post my findings.

Quick Reply: Three amigos: Replaced hub and wire...still getting them.