Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Amigos? Should I care?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Three Amigos? Should I care?

2004 D2 SE, 2nd Air: Today after riding around and having nothing wrong with my D2 I pulled into the garage and sat to listen to the radio. While sitting there idling, I got three warning lights and three chimes: ABS, Hill Descent, Traction Control. See the lovely picture I went in side and read the owners manual (I didn't know what the HD and TC were as this is my first D2- and I purchased this in April)

I know now what the three amigos are (I didnt understand in past threads).

After my reading I took the D2 for a short spin. No warning lights. I performed some medium breaking. All was good.

So should I really care that the lights came on?

And is the true three amigos abs, hill decent, tc or is it abs, tc, srs?

Attached Thumbnails Three Amigos? Should I care?-20150513_113611.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

You got it....that is 3 amigos
You need a compatible code reader to determine the cause. The system will clear codes / lights when issue is no longer present. So if it persists you will want to determine the issue. It will likely be back

Old 05-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Whilst the lamps are on you have no ABS, TC or Hill Descent.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Depends on how much U want to spend? About $60 will get ultragauge, read codes & data,,, $150 icarsoft-i930 specific for all (Range/Land Rovers, jaguar) will do everything U need except reprogramming computer,,, $500+ hawkeye will also reprogram computer.

The following users liked this post:
westjeff (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 AM
Three Wheeling

ok so the lights have 2 be on to get the codes? The system doesn't store the codes?

Also I have one of these but haven't used it yet:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-II-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-/300870978320

It was only $3 WITH s/h on sale so I figured y not. Anyone know how it works?

Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by petminded
ok so the lights have 2 be on to get the codes? The system doesn't store the codes?

Also I have one of these but haven't used it yet:Mini ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 II Bluetooth Car Auto Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool | eBay

It was only $3 WITH s/h on sale so I figured y not. Anyone know how it works?

No, most faults are logged in the cars systems and can be retrieved using acode reader. However, with a simple code reader that is all you will ever beable to do and you'll have to go to your repair shop to have the codes cleared.

On the other hand with something like Hawkeye or a Nanocom Evo you can readfaults and clear them. Both of these also allow you to bleed the brakes,recalibrate ride height (rear air springs) and many other tasks. Neither ofthem is cheap but if you do your own maintenance they pay for themselves.

There have been discussions on other sites, on which is the best code reader and to be honest they all have their pros and cons. I recommend you look at D2BC.co.uk ? Index page and at this topic D2BC.co.uk ? Login plus anyothers you can search for on the site relating to these and other code readers. One thing to note about some of these readers is that if you upgrade to a D3 or 4 you can buy the unlock codes for these vechicles so don't need a new reader for each car.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it might only be a hub falling off like mine, that I ignored because I thought it was a dirty abs SENSOR

Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Nanocom and Hawkeye are the DB's and cover virtually everything you'll ever need on a D2 but they aren't cheap. I use an Autel MaxiDiag MD702 which does the D2 and many other cars but it's also expensive and not as comprehensive as the Nanocom or Hawkeye for the D2. A Chinese made HUD gives general codes but doesn't identify the exact source of the problems as does the N & H.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I had the codes pulled for me. The tech says the codes say I have a Shuttle valve electrical failure. He says this means the shuttle valve is stuck.

Any suggestions on repair difficulty of fixes?

Old 05-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

It usually means the brake fluid is getting past the seals, leaking onto the shuttle valve and making the switch not work.

You can take it off, have a look, see if it is greasy looking. Ie, fluid leak. If it isn't, swap it. If it is, swap it and the seals.

Search for SVS repair, option B repair. And get a large cup of coffee.

Quick Reply: Three Amigos? Should I care?