Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three warning lights came on today at once in my dash board!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three warning lights came on today at once in my dash board!!! Help

Hello, I just had my 2000 Disco II fixed a couple days ago... some leak in my exhaust.

Today I thought I was going crazy while I was pulling into a parking garage as my lovely Disco's dash board, lighted up with three warning lights: ABS, TC (Traction Control), and Hill Descent. Thewarning lightswould not go offafter I restarted the car a couple of timesand of course, the car didn't seem to drive any differently.
I called the dealer and they told me that it is a commonissue with theDiscovery II but they won't tell me what they think is wrong, they want to diagnose the car (make me pay $170 just for it) before they could tell me anything. I don't think it'd be smart to do that.
Did anyone experience this problem with theirs? Please help me out, tell me what the problem was and how much the repair cost was.
My disco has almost 90k miles.

Thank you!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Three warning lights came on today at once in my dash board!!! Help

Those lights are commonly called the Three Amigos. Happens to everyone. The fix could be as simple as cleaning one of the 4 wheel speed sensors. Could be a bad wheel speed sensor. Could be squeaking brakes vibrating enough to give the wheel speed sensor an "irratic" reading or something like that. The fix could be $100. It could be $1000. No way to know until you find out what caused the lights to come on. I have a Rover mechanic that pulls codes for free. $170 for a looksie sounds rough.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

On nearly every Rover forum there are hundreds of post regarding this problem, you might want to read them so we don't have to retype long stories again.
Bottom line, if you can find a shop with an Auto Logic scanner or it's equal, have them read the codes, write them down then have them clear the codes and drive it for a bit to see if they return, if they don't, which is normal, then you are set, if they do come back on, then that $170 test fee will be nothing compared to the price of fixing it.
Don't use the dealer to read the codes cause they won't clear them.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Most auto parts stores will run your codes for free, at least they do here at Checker auto parts. Make sure you know where youre plug is at, I had to drive home and search on this forum and tell the guy where to hook up his toy.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The auto parts store scanners won't read the ABS system codes on the Rover. As Mike said, it requires a scanner equivalent to an autologic unit that has the software to get the manufacturer-specific codes, which are different than than the standard ODBII engine diagnostic codes.

Dave

Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: geotrash

The auto parts store scanners won't read the ABS system codes on the Rover. As Mike said, it requires a scanner equivalent to an autologic unit that has the software to get the manufacturer-specific codes, which are different than than the standard ODBII engine diagnostic codes.

Dave
Thats why they cost more I take it. Now I gotta find someone with one of those too.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: N.Franklin

Most auto parts stores will run your codes for free, at least they do here at Checker auto parts. Make sure you know where youre plug is at, I had to drive home and search on this forum and tell the guy where to hook up his toy.
Only your engine codes, no ABS, SRS or SLS codes, that envolves a much bigger scanner like an Auto Logic or Rover's Test Book.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Find a good independent shop that works on Rovers and other vehicles, have them read the fault codes, write them down and then ask them to clear the code to verify if they will come back again, chances are they won't, if they do then get back to us and let us know what they want to replace and what the estimate is so we can tell you if it is fair.