Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Heater Plate - again??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:42 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I think you guys have convinced me to bypass it. I can do that myself in a matter of minutes if it's as easy as you say it is. And it would allow me to get on with my life this week without having to tackle the gasket. And.....I'm sure the neighbors will appreciate my Rover sans the green pools I'm dumping all over Well one of my neighbors loves my Rover and the other one doesn't like anyone or anything I thought she was coming around to actually tolerating me this summer but then my freezer incident pushed her over the edge

Old 09-03-2017 | 08:44 PM
TReK

"...I can't think of one other brand that has a intake/throttle body heater.."

Not that it matters, or even makes it a good design but Honda uses a heated throttle body on the 3.5/ V6. And most people bypass those too.

Old 09-03-2017 | 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Just did a google search...and I see Ford uses one too, both brands I've never owned...and rarely work on.

And...if Ford does it...that makes it an automatic fail in my book...lol. And who knows, maybe Ford got the goofy idea while they owned LR.

Brian.

Old 09-03-2017 | 09:34 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Oh hells bells.. after reading Franky's take on it I think I'll go ahead and replace the gasket. Don't want to be skating around on ice at high speeds:

Throttle body heater plate bypass - why? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Believe it or not that is a big fear of mine (runaway train of a Rover).. I have nightmares about losing control of steering, high speeds, etc. Psychologically I'm sure that says something about me and just the other night I dreamed I ran into a bunch of parked cars at the airport because my throttle was stuck and the brakes didn't work. I woke up thinking 'oh thank god, it was just a dream - the front end of my Rover isn't all bashed up' Sooo.. looks like I'll go ahead and change it out.

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Looks like I was wrong...

After more research, I see there are a few engines that have a throttle body heaters. So, maybe it would be best to hook it back up.

I've worked in the mid/heavy duty world of things for the past thirty years and only dabble in auto stuff occasionally. So, I guess I should stick to what I know. Plus, once I started googling pictures of throttle bodies with coolant heaters...my mind remembered seeing them before. All of those years of exhaust fumes must have finally taken their toll on my old thinker...lol.

Sorry, for giving the bad info.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017 | 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Oh hells bells.. after reading Franky's take on it I think I'll go ahead and replace the gasket. Don't want to be skating around on ice at high speeds:

Throttle body heater plate bypass - why? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Believe it or not that is a big fear of mine (runaway train of a Rover).. I have nightmares about losing control of steering, high speeds, etc. Psychologically I'm sure that says something about me and just the other night I dreamed I ran into a bunch of parked cars at the airport because my throttle was stuck and the brakes didn't work. I woke up thinking 'oh thank god, it was just a dream - the front end of my Rover isn't all bashed up' Sooo.. looks like I'll go ahead and change it out.
For peace of mind KD I would replace the TBH or the gasket, whatever is letting the coolant out. If it were me, I'd bypass the heater depending on where I live but if it means you feeling nervous about driving in cold or freezing weather it's not worth the risk. Me, I'm nuts anyways and relish a challenge ................ even on ice

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 09-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.
KernowDiscovery (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017 | 10:14 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
For peace of mind KD I would replace the TBH or the gasket, whatever is letting the coolant out. If it were me, I'd bypass the heater depending on where I live but if it means you feeling nervous about driving in cold or freezing weather it's not worth the risk. Me, I'm nuts anyways and relish a challenge ................ even on ice
thanks Offroad. Think I'll do just that but probably won't tackle it myself. Hubby wants it done professionally haha.. sometimes I wonder if he doubts my aptitude Sooo.. guess I'm calling the mechanic tomorrow and seeing if I can get it in. Hopefully it's just the throttle body and not something more involved as I don't think my mindset could handle that right now. I bit off more than I could chew today.. left the house in a lightning storm at o'dark-thirty.. (one woman and a U-Haul), rambled over to the shop and started hauling in in. Fourteen hours later.....

I'm finally home and feel like I belong in a geriatric ward somewhere.

Old 09-05-2017 | 12:25 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

My throttle body started leaking again this summer 4 years after the last replacement gasket was installed. The leaking is probably due to the aluminum/brass mating with different coefficient of expansion. This causes the gasket to fail prematurely after a few years.

I preferred not bypassing the throttle body as I make runs way up in northern western Canada.

I have just installed the Falconwerks brass throttle body (instead of the factory aluminum version) and new gasket. I am aware this is relatively higher in cost. I do off-road runs in remote areas in pretty cold weather. Reliability is important to me and will be keeping watch over the next few years to see if this brass version works better.

Last edited by acg; 09-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.
KernowDiscovery (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 12:58 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm in Georgia and I bypassed mine last year after I purchased my Disco (April 2016).
I've had zero problems since then.

KernowDiscovery (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017 | 03:03 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I took her in yesterday. Filled up the overflow tank and drove like a bat out of hell down the road with someone following me. Seems like she's losing most of the coolant after I turn her off. The mechanic initially told me that they were scheduling a week and a half out but then called back and said that they may be able to squeeze her in between other vehicles. Haven't heard anything so I'm Roverless right now. Maybe I should have tackled it by myself after all. It's pretty bad when you're rationing toilet paper until you get a chance to go into town again (TMI I know..) I may just break down and ride the public transport I have only myself to blame..

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 09-06-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Heater Plate - again??