Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thule roof bar question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thule roof bar question

I have a set of thule roof bars that came on my Jeep grand cherokee. Does anybody know which lower part I need so I use them on my DII?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need the super high feet gutter clamps. They will give you plenty of clearance and allow you to still use the sun-roofs. http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...tm_term=100953 or I got mine from Atlantic British.

Attached Thumbnails thule roof bar question-roofrack3.jpg  

Last edited by salve7; 04-20-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the thule super high mounts.

the pluses are you can raise your sunroofs still. it looks bad ***. and you can carry stuff on the roof. oh and it can be installed and removed in about 5 min.

the minuses are IT KILLS MPG's!!!! it is like adding a barn door or a sail to the roof of a already barn shaped vehicle. it is noisy with or without a wind deflector. you have zero clearance to most garages and car washes ( i found that out the hard way just after installing mine as i forgot it was there when going into a wash)

but like i said it can be installed and removed fast. your be surprised how fast when you are inside of a carwash being sprayed with water and soap.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set, but to be honest, I am not a fan, the bottom of the brackets are concave so they distort the rain gutters if you tighten them down very much... and several other reasons, basicly, I dont like the desigh... any how, I own them now, and Im sure they will come in handy next time I have to haul any lumber, but I just dont understand why there isnt a better product out there.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
TReK

Thanks for the info guys....just one more question. Does thule make a clamp that will work with the factory rails next to the front sunroof on my disco?

About gas mileage..I don't plan to use these very often..just when I need to haul a ladder or kayak.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

negative

Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 AM
TReK

I've found a set of bars for a RR classic for sale cheap. They look like they would fit but the guy claims they don't work on a disco...is he correct?

nevermind, I see the difference now..they ones for the RR classic aren't high enough.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 04-21-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have some bars that clamped on the factory luggage racks but I hated them. I can't remember the brand (they came with my rover when I bought it). I would check yakima and some other off brands. I would sell you my old ones real cheap but I bent them after ripping a bike and basket off the top of the rover.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they do!!! You need to get the Crossroads Foot. I have it on my 03 and love the look. I don't have a photo on this computer but I will find one tomorrow and post it for you. I Kayak and Snowboard and have put both on the disco. The Kayak is not fun but the boards are no problem. I have to check how long of cross bars you need but I will let you know that as well!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
TReK

Philhowe, thanks..I snowboard as well so that is something else I can use the bars for.

Quick Reply: thule roof bar question