Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick (Engine Torn down and finding) What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
How could you not have a pretty good idea where the tick was coming from? Like Mike said you should have done some more testing before tearing out the motor. You could have had low oil pressure and had a tick everywhere, causing a combination of noise. Now you got yourself in a pickle because motor is out and you have spent lots of time tearing it down to find nothing but a cracked oil pump. Put it back together with a new oil pump and see what happens.
The tick sound like was coming from deap within the engine. You couldn't pin point it.

I could have stopped at the pump and put it back together and see if it fixed it I guess.

At least I'll have new head gaskets and a clean engine and maybe an engine that doesn't tick.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long have you owned this one?
What oil was ran in it?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Winching

I've owned it 3 years of it's 9 year life. Have ran Rotella 15/40. Started ticking about a 1.5 years after I got it. Been a great Disco other than the noise.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is just a thought but have you checked the Flex plate? I heard that it can cause a loud tick.

Also, I know you only have 65K but when I did my timing chain at 100k it had a ton of slack and I think it may have been the source of my tick. If you're already going to change the oil pump gears then there will never be an easier time to put in a new timing chain.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Jared9220
This is just a thought but have you checked the Flex plate? I heard that it can cause a loud tick.

Also, I know you only have 65K but when I did my timing chain at 100k it had a ton of slack and I think it may have been the source of my tick. If you're already going to change the oil pump gears then there will never be an easier time to put in a new timing chain.

Yes I have as its off the engine.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Bad Rocker arm maybe. Try moving all of the pieces on both rocker arms and see if they have any play or make any type of tick.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, this was so painful to read I scrolled right to the bottom half way through.
Your oil pressure was fine, so why did you tear into it?
Was it running rough?
Loosing coolant or excessive amount of oil?
You should have taken my advice and left well enough alone, now you have a torn apart engine that is costing you time and money chasing a Red Herring.
You replaced the oil pump and the noise was still there, you should have stopped there.
Sorry to be a jerk, but thats where you should have stopped.
The DII engines tick, the neighbors dog is going to poop in your yard, thats just the way it is.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

For what it's worth, I don't thinking you are wasting your time or money. You said you found your oil pump cracked in 3 places. With 65k it was only a matter of time before your head gaskets fail. Not to mention all of the little gaskets, selas and o-rings that get replaced along the way.

Head Gaskets, Front Cover Gasket, Water Pump Gasket, Valley pan, Upper manifold, Lower manifold, injectors, throttle body, valve stem seals,..... ect... All good things to replace.

Perfect time for new wires and plugs by the way if you havn't already thought of that.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ok, this was so painful to read I scrolled right to the bottom half way through.
Your oil pressure was fine, so why did you tear into it?
Was it running rough?
Loosing coolant or excessive amount of oil?
You should have taken my advice and left well enough alone, now you have a torn apart engine that is costing you time and money chasing a Red Herring.
You replaced the oil pump and the noise was still there, you should have stopped there.
Sorry to be a jerk, but thats where you should have stopped.
The DII engines tick, the neighbors dog is going to poop in your yard, thats just the way it is.
I agree......Mine has been ticking for 4yrs/30k+miles now,Ive had everything replaced and ck'd that has been mentioned except for the liner thing and thats not gona happen.....So chaulk it up to a heart beat if some asks...........I gave up on worrying about it....As a matter of fact In my head I dont even hear it anymore....

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Winching

Wish I could have just left it alone but its just not in me. I see no sign of sleeve movement going back to my firing ring findings so even though I have a good replacement block sitting next to me I'm not going to replace it.

The sleeve sits on a lip at the bottom of the block so it can't go down. No sign of movement into the top firing ring.

I did find some marking on the #3 cyl lifters last night which has lead me to decide to replace the cam and lifters at this time.

I don't feel like this was a waste of time at all. This engine is going on 10 years old and could use a seal replacement like just about any engine this age.

I'd much rather spend the time now on it vs. being broken down in the woods.

Quick Reply: Tick (Engine Torn down and finding) What to do???