Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to go.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Is it time to go.

Having owned my 2003 D2 TD5 from new and it's now reached the age of 11 years with 124K miles on the odometer is it time to part with the truck. I have been analysing LR's and their economical lifespans and it seems that, engines apart, after 10+ years and 100-120K miles they start to deteriorate on the drivetrain and peripheral parts and in some cases corrosion sets in big time. This is more evident if the truck is not owned from new and the previous owners haven't looked after the servicing regularly or it has had extreme offroad abuse without maintenance. I have the distinct feeling the D2 has to go soon when I've fitted the copious new parts to it as also my age and enthusiasm for spannering is diminishing as the tasks mount up and further problems become apparent. It seems time to terminate my long affair with LR's and join the league of sedate car drivers as I really now don't need big 4x4's for anything. The RRS is great for highway cruising but again is an expensive 'animal' to run and maintain whereas a good VW or Skoda equivalent estate car would suffice. Having read various US, Aus and UK forums it appears that 10 years + and 100-120K miles is the economical maximum life of these trucks unless one feel inclined to keep repairing them 'ad nauseam', which I don't, and now see as being unfair on my wife and family and I certainly would object to paying garage 'gonks' to do these works incompetently. Seems like it's time has come to go elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I see where you are going with this

Attached Thumbnails Is it time to go.-image.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I say run it til it becomes a money pit. Mine is 14 years old with 205kmi. The paint is fading, big deal. Personally, I've never owned a new car, in fact my newest car was 5 years old. (A BMW 325 which to this day was the worst pile of crap I've ever owned.) I don't really care what the odometer shows as long as it's been maintained. I saw a billboard for Mobil Delvac oil and it says, "It's not an odometer, it's a badge of honor."
Now then, should you decide to sell yours, please send the TD5 and all the components to me so I can convert my petrol to diesel.
And may I suggest a Volvo XC60 diesel estate D4

Attached Thumbnails Is it time to go.-570.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say sell it, only if you have nothing to do with it, nor want to do anything with it. I only kept mine to go have fun in, if I didn't have any plans for this truck, I would've sold this pos a while ago... lol. I think whoever DD's these trucks "have a screw loose," or are "masochist's" as you put it

But at the same time, there is nothing like a Land Rover; they can fit in at a red carpet event, while being able to climb up a mountain, or that's how it was at least, not so much now... but you get the point

Last edited by Dane!; 06-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

i figured the diesel versions would live past 100k- granted the rust if in a bad enviroment is always a problem from what i have read.

Why not donate it to the Texans like td5's for offroading club.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by dusty1
I see where you are going with this
LOL...................not quite there yet Dusty, I'm still working on it .......................although some days I'm not too sure.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Baja

Amazingly, it's not the engine that's the problem. The TD5 engine's good and could turn 200K I reckon but it's the rest of the drive train. Chassis (frame) is good with some surface rust in a couple of places, but the autobox, transfer box and rear diff are showing oil leaks and signs of wear and tear. My own fault as it's done lots of heavy(ish) towing, probably 20K plus.

Fitted a new steering drag link today with a new TF steering damper as one of the ball joints was duff and worn. Ironically, it was the removable one so I should have done just that one only. Now I have to fit the new track control link along with new front TF shocks and springs, engine and gearbox mounts, new WABCO shuttle valves switches with mod B, new Panhard and Watts bushes, new s/s brake hoses allround, rear TF shocks, bleed the braking system and do all this before fixing the leaks in two sunroofs and refurb/upholster the headliner.................oh, I've got to fit the new water temp and oil pressure gauges and binnacle and the front and rear linked video camera wiring whilst the headliner is out, and afterwards, hmmm....................rest awhile............................................ ..and on his headstone plainly laquered his epitaph...................."JUST F**KING KNACKERED" ................

Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by SDinDS
I say run it til it becomes a money pit. Mine is 14 years old with 205kmi. The paint is fading, big deal. Personally, I've never owned a new car, in fact my newest car was 5 years old. (A BMW 325 which to this day was the worst pile of crap I've ever owned.) I don't really care what the odometer shows as long as it's been maintained. I saw a billboard for Mobil Delvac oil and it says, "It's not an odometer, it's a badge of honor."
Now then, should you decide to sell yours, please send the TD5 and all the components to me so I can convert my petrol to diesel.
And may I suggest a Volvo XC60 diesel estate D4
I have to say SDinDS this is the highest mileage vehicle I've ever owned. I've had many new cars and 4x4's and some new company cars in the past.

Ref BMW's, many pals have owned them from new and raved about them ..................initially, until they've gone wrong and cost them an 'arm and leg' to fix. BMW's are great provided they are exchanged before they hit 3 years and 50-60K otherwise they're a money pit.

I like Volvo's and another pal swears by them as he has had them over the last 30+ years. They do a good 4x4 also which is a possible. I also like VW/Audi/Skoda diesel cars as well. I quite fancy myself posing around town in an Audi TT ....................trouble is in France they'd be in bed behind closed shutters and wouldn't notice anyways even when they're not eating and drinking. ...............who said that..............

Old 06-29-2014, 06:39 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Facts are these.
You will not get much money for it.

You could just park it. If you have room.
And get a commuter car. Use the commuter car for commuting and boring thing.
Use the Rover for the snow and when you really need it.

Quit towing.

If you do sell it and get a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle - you'll help the environment and spend less on gas.

I really miss my D2.
It did not go bad too often after I dumped a ton of work and money into it.

My only issue with the D2 is gas consumption and polluting the earth.

If I find one cheap again and have room to park it, I may get another.
I'll just save it for snow driving.
If I get to snow country again.

You have fixed most of the issues.
If it drips oil - oh well.
I put cardboard under our ex 1997 D1 for years and that's how it went.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking

In my opinion US spec Rovers suffer the most problems. In part because the only engine permitted is the Rover V8 and we all know the Rover V8 does not hold a candle to the TD5 in terms of reliability. And lastly some states in the US use salt on the roads during the colder months and as a result the salt eats through the chassis. Seems to me though that you have neither of those two issues and in fact it seems like you have not had to many problems with your Rover as so many of us here in the US have had. So unless your like us, always looking at your Ultraguage engine temps, praying the truck does not overheat and kill the head gaskets or put a crack in the block, then why not keep the truck and enjoy it. I doubt your putting as much money into your truck like we are and second hand drivetrain parts should not cost you to much $$$.

It would be a shame to see you go man but if you must than cheers. Maybe one day you will be back. PS: I hear alot of members dropping hints about the family or the wifes giving them the ultimatum. But if your family is your loving family then surely they will understand your passion and they will support it. So long as your passion does not cost $$$$$. Im young but anyone who enters my life knows up front about my passion for Rovers, they are aware of the $$$$ it takes to keep one of these trucks running and if they do not like it then they can move on. Why should I ignore my passion to keep anyone else happy? I just wish I could find a Rover girl....

Cheers to you

Quick Reply: Is it time to go.