Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new front crank seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Time for new front crank seal?

Hey guys,

I've had a slow, minor oil leak that I believe i've tracked up towards the front crank seal. It at least makes sense to me as oil appears to be sprayed backwards and has dripped from oil filter, bottom of front diff, and leaves traces (slight and over weeks) over other areas. It HAS been a very minor and slow leak, i've only topped off the oil once over the last 3 months checking it every week.

However, today within the 10 or 15 minutes of me putting new PS fluid in (using the turkey baster way) with the car on for only 5 minutes or so, it created quite the puddle of oil. I've never seen it leak more than a drop or 2 over any time period, but it was coming pretty steady and made a puddle over a couple of minutes. It appears its leaking from the same area. I've included some pictures.

You can see on the plastic cover under the front bumper area is seemingly wet with oil. It usually drops down a drip from the front diff or off the oil filter. But you can see it appears its blown all over. I probably need to put the new oil pan gasket on as well (also in hand)...have just put it off. Guess my LR is telling me now is the time!?!?

Am I right in thinking front crank seal? I already have the replacement seal on hand, but just haven't gotten around to doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Time for new front crank seal?-img_5625.jpg   Time for new front crank seal?-img_5626.jpg   Time for new front crank seal?-img_5629.jpg   Time for new front crank seal?-img_5628.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

HI DiscoIIBrandon,
I'm in your same boat. Mine looks like yours, but I only have about 4 drips a week. I think its the crankshaft seal. It streams oil back on the oil pan and there are always drips on the transmission cooler lines. I have cleaned it twice and have no oil coming from above. I have 93,000 miles on mine. So I asume you use a 3ft breaker bar to get the bolt loose on the harmonic balance pulley. My friend has a lift we just installed and this would be great first project to not be on my back. If you were not in Florida we could learn together on this little not so fun project.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be, if you do change the seal inspect the crankshaft because there could be a ring worn in it from debris in the seal, in that case you would have to use a sleeve or some other solution. It could also be the front cover too.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the seal actually wet?
If not then its not the front seal.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Is the seal actually wet?
If not then its not the front seal.
I'm not sure. Can I see/feel the seal from underneath without taking anything off?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Right, you can't see the seal on the front cover without removing the harmonic balancer pulley. So I guess when your in that far you either replace it or put it all back together if the seal is not wet with oil. I checked on my spare 4.6L block in the garage (front cover removed and there is no seal between the block and crankshaft. Only a tapered washer in front.

Here is the seal on eBay. I bet its not too expensive at the dealer.

LAND ROVER FRONT OIL SEAL CRANKSHAFT DISCO RANGE DEF

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Right, you can't see the seal on the front cover without removing the harmonic balancer pulley. So I guess when your in that far you either replace it or put it all back together if the seal is not wet with oil. I checked on my spare 4.6L block in the garage (front cover removed and there is no seal between the block and crankshaft. Only a tapered washer in front.

Here is the seal on eBay. I bet its not too expensive at the dealer.

LAND ROVER FRONT OIL SEAL CRANKSHAFT DISCO RANGE DEF
Thanks Boss. I already have a new seal ($14 from BPofUtah) and a new oil pan gasket. I'm hoping to get both done later this week. Whenever I do, I will post back with my findings and results.

Speaking of jealousy, what kind of lift to you guys pick up?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Default What I need for this job...

Back on topic, what all tools will I need to replace the front crank seal? It looks like from the Rave that theres a bolt holding a washer and the pulley in place in front of it, but I also have to remove the front cover, and I'm assuming the fan?

Also, could the oil leak from the front crank seal create a noisy pulley? I've got 1 of the pulleys really causing a racket upon startup and at idle.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have a OME 2" lift in the front and SLS rear air springs. Its a firm lift, I do like it. It makes the Discovery look how it should from the factory. The OME springs are really firm. But the ride can be adjusted by running tire pressure from 35psi to 40psi.

Here is a good picture of the crankshaft seal on the front cover. You may need a good pick set to remove that seal with crank shaft sticking through the center. Take some pictures for me, I would like to know how how it goes in removing the harmonic balancer. If there is enough room between the radiator and harmonic balancer to get puller in there. If you run your truck up on ramps a long enough breaker bar should fit below the bolt & the ground to to break it loose. Its a 24mm bolt that hold the pulley on.

Last edited by bosshogt; 11-30-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I have a OME 2" lift in the front and SLS rear air springs. Its a firm lift, I do like it. It makes the Discovery look how it should from the factory. The OME springs are really firm

Here is a good picture of the crankshaft seal on the front cover. You may need a good pick set to remove that seal with crank shaft sticking through the center. Take some pictures for me, I would like to know how how it goes in removing the harmonic balancer. If there is enough room between the radiator and harmonic balacer to get puller in there. If you run your truck up on ramps a long enough breaker bar should fit below the bolt & the ground to to break it loose. Its a 24mm bolt that hold the pulley on.

Please wait
Image not available
Thanks Boss. I must have mis-understood you...I thought you were referring to a vehicle lift to work under, but I am always interested in others setup!

I've got 1" spacers in the front from the PO and the vehicle looks level with SLS in back and all original shocks/springs. Does yours look noise high at all with 2" in front? I've seen spacers with SLS but since this is my wife's car, she doesn't want any kind of lift.

Quick Reply: Time for new front crank seal?