Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to pay the piper...Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Time to pay the piper...Cruise Control

Ok, aside from double checking the fluids, I've got the major items on the 60K taken care of...and just in time, we're taking the Disco for road trials tomorrow (500 mile trip each way to NY and back.)

At this point, I'd just about sell my soul to get some insight on the cruise control not working. The light on the dash comes on.

I think I located the vacuum pump and I've looked it over several times. When I first found it, I noticed a short piece of rubber tubing connecting the top of the unit to the bottom. The top piece was cracked and broken, so I cut it off and re-attached it...still no cruise-action.

I think the funk-master himself Disco Mike said something about additional tubing coming from under the brake diaphram, going over to the vacuum pump. I honestly don't see ANYTHING else connected to this pump. At the bottom of the pump there appears to be a "T-type" fitting. The rubber hose I already mentioned is coming off of the side of the T and goes to the top of the pump...it looks like there SHOULD BE something connected to the bottom but I don't know what or where it would be.

1000 miles without cruise is going to suck S%*#!! Help me.

-Ken
"Idiot of the month nominee - May 2008"

Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Time to pay the piper...Cruise Control

You might want to call me.
303-862-7680
Colorado any day before 8 pm

Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its Disco 1, Heres a "rough" drawing of all the pipes in the engine bay

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

@mike
I'll give you a jingle if nobody else can manage to shed some serious light on this.

@panzer
Thanks for the diagram, it's a start but it's actually a DII (thought I had that in my signature..I'll be sure to post that from now on). I wonder how much different the DII is from the DI in this regard? Unfortunately the workshop manual doesn't have too much information or diagrams on the cruise control...at least that I have found.

On mine, the vacuum pump is definitely attached to the throttle linkage...although when I looked at this portion I wasn't sure how it was supposed to work. The cable is there though. Then the vacuum pump doesn't look like it's connected to anything except itself...so I'm not even sure where it's getting a signal from. Maybe someone ripped off the original vacuum hose or something, so I'll have to track that down and figure out where it's coming from and where to plug it into.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,

I do not have an answer to you crusie control trouble but I do have a "moron of the year" story about my 1999 Disco II cruise control. I purchased the car used and did not check the cuise for the first month. When I finally did try to set the cruise, it refused to work. I was so frustrated with myself for not checking it at the time I bought the car. About another month passed and my son took the Disco out and when he came back he said there was nothing wrong with the cruise control. Now, me being the Dad and he being the Son, I quickly pointed out that he had to be wrong. He then took me out for a ride to show me I was out of my mind (got to hate smart alect 18 year olds). I had been pressing the cruise control buttons from the front side as opposed toreaching around the sterring wheel and pressing them from behind.Son 1 - Dad 0. It is a story he has told many times since.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have curise control in my D1 either, and yes it does suck, but the parts list is high priced.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Rock Crawling

@bigun
Nice story...I think I've tried both ways and it's not working...I'll double check it to make sure. Luckily I've got another 9 years before I have to worry about having a child on the road.

As far as the idiot of the month award...I told Disco Mike about it on the phone, but I've been soooo damn ashamed that I haven't dared to post a couple of my misfortunate adventures. Now is as good of a time as any, especially since the title of the thread pertains to cruise control, it may go un-noticed and I can confess and rid myself of the guilt of being a complete moron.

Transmission Service
So I'm doing the transmission filter etc. and by the time I get the filter back up into place and I'm ready to do the pan, the day is almost complete and the sun is setting. My lovely wife comes outside to ask how everything is going...after all, the Disco is her truck. I reply by telling her that life just became a little difficult because I cannot see to put the pan back into place. She offers to get me a light. 5 minutes pass by and she comes back outside with a broken shoplight. The light itself is hosed...I don't even know why I continue to keep it around because it will not work. She is complaining that she cannot get the light to work and I explain that it is broken and that we just purchased a new one that is down in the basement....5-10 minutes goes by and she comes back out empty-handed. She then goes to our other vehicle and pulls out an emergency light that plugs into the cigarette lighter and attempts to plug it into the disco. I tell her that she can't do that because it will drain the battery dead as the truck is not running! She replies by saying "you're a $uck$%' a$$hole!"...and she runs inside.

I go inside myself, immediately locate the shoplight and get back to work installing the pan. I get the pan up and it is now time to add fluid. I had purchased a handy-dandy hand-pump from wally world. The tubes that came with the pump were actually nice and thick so when I shoved one end into the fill hole it was a tight fit...good and bad. I pump in about 6 quarts of ATF and I begin wondering how much more the system will take. So I run inside and check the workshop manual...it says roughly 10 quarts if the system is dry...which isn't especially insightful because unless it's a brand new transmission it's not going to be dry. All sorts of fluid remains in the torque convertor and the transmission valve body etc. I go back outside and keep pumping...I think I probably pumped in 8.5 quarts before the tube in the fill hole was experiencing enough back pressure to BLOW OUT and start purging all sorts of fluid everywhere. I scrambled to catch it. After it finally calmed down, I was covered in ATF and I looked like I had been axe murdered. I got my wife, who not 30 minutes earlier was calling me every name in the book for no apparent reason...and I asked her to start the truck and move through the gears and then put it back into park. She did this and then I had to muster up the intestinal fortitude to climb under the truck while it was running and a pi$$ed off woman was at the wheel. I pull the fill plug out and begin pumping fluid. I pump in a bunch and then I got a fine little bead of fluid coming out of the fill hole...my wife is antsy to get back inside so I tell her to go ahead and shut of the truck and leave...except I forgot to put the plug back in and...yes, all sorts of fluid poured back out. So I had to go through the entire motion once again.

but that is NOTHING compared to the next bout of foolishness.
I decide to have the front driveshaft rebuilt. I'm not even going to do it myself, so how bad can it be? 8 bolts to remove it...what could go wrong?

So I climb under the truck, I'm able to get the three front bolts off but one of the bolts is in such a position that I can't get it ALL THE WAY OFF. It's hanging by a thread...so in order to facilitate the removal of the shaft, I again ask my trustworthy, albeit sometimes pi$$y but always lovely WIFE to back the truck up just a little so the shaft will spin and I can get a better angle on that bolt.

DUMB DUMB DUMB. WARNING IDIOT ON BOARD.

Yeah, that bolt hanging by a thread was swiftly removed when the transfer case engaged the front shaft. The shaft began a viscious rotationof knocking into any obstructions in its path. We shut the truck down immediately...and my heart sank because I knew, I just knew what I had done and I still feel ashamed of it. I feared the worse. I expected to see all sorts of holes in oil pans and broken housings and...the worst.

When I climbed under the truck...no damage to speak of thank god...that could have really sucked. I've been trying to use my brain a little more lately and think these stupid things through before I do them. Then at least I won't be upset with myself for failing to think about the consequences.

please don't let stupidity happen to you!...also, if anyone has any insight on cruise control that would be cool.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Follow your vacum line from the cruise control where you had fixed the leak, follow it everywhere it goes, everywhere it connects or "T's" to something else check for cracks, last but not least check the switch at the brake pedal. If the cruise control thinks that the brake is on then it wont work.
But 90% of cruise controls not working are due to vacum leaks.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike,

Thanks for the info. I tried calling Mike but I think he seen it was me on his caller ID and didn't answer. I ended up really deciding to figure this out and I did exactly what you said...The line that I already hacked off actually ended up having a big hole in it down at the bottom that I didn't even notice. It was so bad and went up so high that there was no hope of salvaging the line. I ended up going to the old Chevy Suburban...ripped some vacuum line off of that and put it on the Rover. Washed up and took it for a test drive and VIOLA~! it works. Who says everything has to be hard?

Well, I've got less than 30 minutes of light left and I need to get out and check my fluids for the trip tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help!

-Ken

Old 05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad you got it working. These trks can either be easy to fix or a pain to fix.
Sometimes Mike is busy, I dont think he sits by the phone.

Quick Reply: Time to pay the piper...Cruise Control