Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIps/Inputs for using Mexican gas in Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIps/Inputs for using Mexican gas in Disco II?

Will be road trippin thru mexico and wanted some tips and input on the gas down there?

I know it has to be 92 or higher octane rating but anything else i should be aware of or concerned with?

2. once the warning light for the gas comes on, about how many miles aprox can I get before it COMPLETELY runs out?

3. any other tips or feedback for this 1500+ mile road trip extravaganza?

thank you all in advance!!

have a happy weekend!!

oNe

Old 12-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: TIps/Inputs for using Mexican gas in Disco II?

The stupidest thing you can ever do, be it here in the states or in Mexico is to drive while your gas warning light is on. All you are doing is sucking up sludge from the bottom of your tank and burning up your near $400 fuel pump.
You want to drive in Mexico, buy yourself a couple of jerry cans and take 2 or 3 good bottles of gas additive to mix with their sometimes terrible gas.
Also buy Mexican auto insurance to cover you while down there.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you aware that there is currently a major warning to Americans not to travel into Mexico, especially Baja?

Living in Socal made Baja access to surf, dive, and vacation easy for me. At the moment I don’t know anyone who is willing to travel into Mexico.

If you are not aware, there are several groups of people who are not pleased with the USA tightening of border security. We have essentially stopped their source of revenue. IE Drug Smugglers and the Coyotes who guided/transport Illegal’s to work in the USA. Additionally the change in Mexico’s presidency has not been good for stability. His position to clean up the Police and end corruption has resulted in a backlash of rebellion.

In the past going south meant carrying a $60.00 to distribute along the way to slimy Feds. Well, those not-so-bright guys have been replaced and are out of a full time job. Without steady income they organized and have been conducting military style assaults and robberies on Americans. After they stop you and terrorize you with machine guns, they take everything. Car, luggage, personal belongings, and in several incidents have left families stranded naked without clothes. Guess what; it’s illegal to be seen in public without clothes in Mexico. So after the victims got help they were put in jail.

Last week the Rosarito Police Station was overthrown military style and several key personnel were shot and killed.

Did you hear our border patrol agents are being attacked several times a day, or that the drug smugglers have been putting hand grenades into glass jars and dropping them from airplanes on key resorts to intimidate our government into loosening the border?

Our American news is not publishing the full scope of violence for some reason. Search the web. Research the current happenings before crossing into Mexico. It’s not worth it. Your Land Rover is going to look really nice down there.

MWmG

Old 12-22-2007, 11:01 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay with Pemex gas stations as smaller stations may have
watered down gas.

Call the Mexican cosulate for the paper work that you will
need it will save time at the border.

Take small bills $ onesand keep 5 to 10 in your pocket to
help with the local stops (Cops)that they ask for coke money (bribe).
One of my employees was on his way to Guatemala and
was stoppedthree times a few months ago.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:23 PM
ajh
Winching

Got specific plans yet? We're heading to Orizaba/Itza between Jan 20 and Feb 6th or so and looking for other vehicles to travel with, lots of archeological sites etc in the plans. While the paranoia above is a bit over the top, it is always safer just from random breakdowns, getting stuck, etc... in a group.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but can an American legally "carry" in Mexico. I'm in Texas, so we always carry! Especially since that massacre with a chain saw happened.

-Ug

Sorry, not trying to lighten the alarm. I don't know anyone willing to cross the border right now. Deep Mexico is better from what I've heard, but stay away from the TX border. Will you be traveling with any ladies. I'd recommend against that.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
ajh
Winching

I'm far more afraid of travel in Texas than in Mexico, for much the reasons you stated.

No, you're not allowed to bring weapons into Mexico.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigugly82

Sorry, not trying to lighten the alarm. I don't know anyone willing to cross the border right now. Deep Mexico is better from what I've heard, but stay away from the TX border. Will you be traveling with any ladies. I'd recommend against that.
Especially with a vehicle that has just overheated recently and has a coolant leak in some unknown location! You must really need to get to Mexico.