Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
I run 65psi on the front right (battery is heavy), 55psi front left(I'm heavy), 22psi rear right(it just seems right), and 29.3psi on the rear left(because I can).

Please, NOBODY use this method!

No, seriously, I've run 32psi on all 4 since I bought it, and the tires seem to be wearing fine and ride is nice.
hahaha

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The user guide says 30psi front and 38psi rear for my 2003 D2(page 235). I'm on 255/55 R18.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bumped all four up to 38psi all around. I'm headed to Nevada Desert again, so will be about a 5 hour drive each way. This will give me a good idea if there's any benefit to the gas mileage. I'd LOVE to get better mileage, as long as I don't affect the drivability or life of tires.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

These tire pressure threads are dumb anyway.
Tire pressure depends on too many variables to say what someone should run, unless they have a stock disco running stock tires. In which case you can just look in the manual, which, incidentally, lists substantially different pressure front and rear.

Factors that affect required tire pressure for street use:
Vehicle weight (total added weight modifications/accessories plus weight of passengers, cargo, etc.)
Tire brand
Tire size
Tire construction
Tread type
One way to know for sure is to weigh your vehicle and call the tire manufacturer, give them the tire model number (all tires have a model/item number) and they will tell you.
Another way is to experiment to see what pressure gives you an even tread pattern. Chalk the tread and roll forward. Check the pattern on the pavement, adjust as needed.
A third way is to use an infrared thermometer to find at what pressure you have an even tread temp across the tread when driving, adjusting the pressure to attain that.
The forth way, if you don't really care about it, is to ask on a forum.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Here is some good information, and it confirms what Tom says, there is no correct answer without some investigation.

D2 tyre pressures - Australian Land Rover Owners

There are quite a few links in that thread to technical information and math that I'm too lazy to do.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by antichrist
These tire pressure threads are dumb anyway.
Tire pressure depends on too many variables to say what someone should run, unless they have a stock disco running stock tires. In which case you can just look in the manual, which, incidentally, lists substantially different pressure front and rear.

Factors that affect required tire pressure for street use:
Vehicle weight (total added weight modifications/accessories plus weight of passengers, cargo, etc.)
Tire brand
Tire size
Tire construction
Tread type
One way to know for sure is to weigh your vehicle and call the tire manufacturer, give them the tire model number (all tires have a model/item number) and they will tell you.
Another way is to experiment to see what pressure gives you an even tread pattern. Chalk the tread and roll forward. Check the pattern on the pavement, adjust as needed.
A third way is to use an infrared thermometer to find at what pressure you have an even tread temp across the tread when driving, adjusting the pressure to attain that.
The forth way, if you don't really care about it, is to ask on a forum.
Well said, especially the last sentence.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Off topic but one of the comments in that thread jafir posted says:

...Remember that the D2 alloy rims have the extra bead retaining ring internally which virtually stops the "rolling" the tyre off the bead issue.
Internal bead retaining ring on D2 alloy rims? Is this true?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Off topic but one of the comments in that thread jafir posted says:

Internal bead retaining ring on D2 alloy rims? Is this true?
Yes, but it's nothing special, most wheels have it. It's just a ridge that runs inside the wheel near the edges of the wheel. Even D1 steel wheels/spares have it.

you can see it here:

Last edited by jafir; 07-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I've got 285/75/16 and I run 40PSI on pavement and 15PSI off road.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Pro Wrench

I normally run 32 all around, on most of my cars for that matter.

Today, I decided to try 38 all around. DANG, it's like driving Mexican Jumping Beans down the road. It's SO jumpy, bumpy, and not fun... Going back to 32 since I was not experiencing any wear issues anyways. I also had a very nice smooth ride before.

BTW: I'm running Toyo Open Country AT's, Stock 18" Size.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure