Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire size: 16' vs 18'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009 | 10:56 PM
|
Mudding
Default Tire size: 16' vs 18'?

I noticed that alot of the Rover crowd runs with 16' tires, while I still have my 18'. What difference does it make? I am in dire need of new tires and don't have the money to buy both 16' rims and tires.

Old 10-06-2009 | 11:21 PM
Mudding

Check you local Craigs list for quite inexpensive 16" Disco wheels, sometimes even with good tires attached to them. The next option would be Ebay.

Old 10-07-2009 | 06:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

16" wheels have a larger sidewall (on a same sized tire) than their 18" counterparts, and therefor have a smoother ride. There is a much much greater tire selection for 16" wheels and personally I think they look better.

If you're worried about additional cost of wheels, sell your 18"s. I've heard of people actually making a profit from it after buying their new wheels.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:34 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by hazletbassist89
16" wheels have a larger sidewall (on a same sized tire) than their 18" counterparts, and therefor have a smoother ride. There is a much much greater tire selection for 16" wheels and personally I think they look better.

If you're worried about additional cost of wheels, sell your 18"s. I've heard of people actually making a profit from it after buying their new wheels.
Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid my tires are so bad they just need to be burned!! I'm the 2nd owner and the owner before did not rotate or balance, and when he sold the truck, the tires were so misshapen and bad, plus they are the stock wheels, which suck a**.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:59 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by bangkuaidiscovery04
Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid my tires are so bad they just need to be burned!! I'm the 2nd owner and the owner before did not rotate or balance, and when he sold the truck, the tires were so misshapen and bad, plus they are the stock wheels, which suck a**.

are you doing any serious off roading?

i have 18" wheels on my rig and i off road all winter and summer. for what i do they work fine.

if you are doing mild to moderate wheeling then a more aggressive tire is all you need until you have the cash to do new wheels and tires also.

Old 10-10-2009 | 02:16 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
are you doing any serious off roading?

i have 18" wheels on my rig and i off road all winter and summer. for what i do they work fine.

if you are doing mild to moderate wheeling then a more aggressive tire is all you need until you have the cash to do new wheels and tires also.
What tire are you running? I was thinking about getting either these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tination+A%2FT or http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tination+M%2FT. Which one would you choose? Both are rated #1 but I would have to get a different size tire cause they don't run 255/55/18

Old 10-10-2009 | 02:33 AM
TReK

i have a set of Falken ST Z04 tires on my rig. the dealer i bought my rig from put these on just before i bought the rig. they are a non aggressive tire and more street then trail rated, but i have had ZERO issue in the trails both snow and dirt. mud and tree roots etc etc etc.

i am planning a 2" lift for my rig and a set of these,,,

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...49418&pc=40241

you can look at some of the pics i have posted from my snow and off road trips. on street tires these rigs do fine on mild to moderate trails. can they climb rocks,, NO. but with a set of moderate tires like these you can do an awful lot.

Old 10-10-2009 | 10:11 AM
Drifting

For what its worth I believe that Chevy's 15" wheel has the same lug pattern as the disco's have. You should be able to find a set of chevy wheels real cheap. And have an even larger selection of tires to chose from.

Old 10-11-2009 | 01:06 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
i have a set of Falken ST Z04 tires on my rig. the dealer i bought my rig from put these on just before i bought the rig. they are a non aggressive tire and more street then trail rated, but i have had ZERO issue in the trails both snow and dirt. mud and tree roots etc etc etc.

i am planning a 2" lift for my rig and a set of these,,,

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...49418&pc=40241

you can look at some of the pics i have posted from my snow and off road trips. on street tires these rigs do fine on mild to moderate trails. can they climb rocks,, NO. but with a set of moderate tires like these you can do an awful lot.
Wow these are much cheaper!! And I like how Discount Tire does the free rotations/road hazards. Does the tires size have to be the same? What if I got a 265/55/18 or even a 285/55/18?

Old 10-11-2009 | 01:07 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by outback96
For what its worth I believe that Chevy's 15" wheel has the same lug pattern as the disco's have. You should be able to find a set of chevy wheels real cheap. And have an even larger selection of tires to chose from.
Thanks outback I'll keep looking

Quick Reply: Tire size: 16' vs 18'?