Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires?

I'm planning on purchasing 4 Definity Dakota a/t and was wondering what people think of them?

They are made by cooper, and for 470 I can have all 4 installed.

They are a DIRECT knockoff of BFG A/T in styling and tread, probably not in quality, but who knows

so any opinions? right now that's what i'll be getting because of the price

BTW: all the pictures on the internet are of the old series that got recalled... I cannot find any new ones, but they pretty much copied bfg exactly

Old 02-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I HATE the BFG A/T's, I have them on my FedEx van and they suck hairy squirl nuts.
1" of snow and a 1% grade and I cant move up the grade I have to spin down to dry ground.
I spend alot of time getting unstuck and even more time not getting stuck by parking in such a way as to not get stuck.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Default tires

If you are using price as your only guide you very well may be putting yourself and any passenger at such risks which could haunt you forever. Safety and performance should be priorities IMO.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't heard anything about the Definity A/T but I have heard a lot of good things about the M/Ts. After my lift I am going to put a set of M/ts on. I agree with SD7 that safety and performance should be priorities but price always play a key role in any decision. IMO, a new set of cheap tires is safer, at least short term, than a worn out set of expensive tires you can't afford to replace. Cooper makes the Definity tires especially for Pepboys. The quality is the same as any other Cooper tire but you don't pay for the Cooper name.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i just put a set of buckshot xmt mudders on my rover and i like them... i think i paid about 600 for four installed...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 2000 Disco 2 SD7
If you are using price as your only guide you very well may be putting yourself and any passenger at such risks which could haunt you forever. Safety and performance should be priorities IMO.
2 of my tires have litterally no tread right now... 100 percent bald in most places

so a new tire would be much much safer... plus i trust cooper tire to not make tires that kill people

and price has to be my priority as tires cost me 3 paychecks

Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked into General Grabber a/t2's?? I had mine installed for just under $500. Great Quality and great price. Just another option because I have never heard of/seen anyone run Dinfinity Dakota's. I love my grabbers and others on this forum would say the same.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want cheap, go to tirerack.com and get the Kuhmo Solus. They're $77 each. Don't know what they charge for shipping......

Eric

Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the money i would go with the general grabbers. i just put a set of bridgestone duelers A/T on my truck this winter and i am kicking myself for not paying the extra $100 for M/Ts. but i drive off-road a LOT! and M/Ts would have served me much better. what i am getting at is that you dont wanna get some ok tires when you could spend an extra $50 and get some GREAT tires. or buy tires 2 at a time - just remember to get the exact same size tires becuase of the all wheel drive.

learn from my mistake...
good luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

and price has to be my priority as tires cost me 3 paychecks[/QUOTE]

Buy what you can afford, tirerack.com is a great place to do research but after you pay for shipping and installation...
Cooper does make a good tire. I LOVE the Discoverer S/T but they are $150 each.
www.treadwright.com has good cheap tires too.
$360 for a set of 4, shipped.

Quick Reply: Tires?