Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires - which 265/75/16 set ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires - which 265/75/16 set ?

Hi Guys,

I have an 01 Disco II, and will be putting an OME 2" suspension lift kit on in the next couple of weeks. That said, I want to upgrade the tires to a set of 265/75/16's, and I want an agressive look but will do mostly all road driving - it probably won't often go off-road. Can anyone give me any advice on good agressive-looking tires that will be comfortable on-road?

thanks- Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm partial to the Coopers, they're well made and reasonably priced ...check them out as they have several you might like.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Mudding

Just out of curiosity, why spend the money on the lift and "aggressive" tires if you aren't going to off-road?

I think most folks here go for the General Grabber AT-2 for light off-road use. If you are going to use the truck on the road most of the time I'd go with a mud/snow tire like the OEM Michelin MXV. I also wouldn't go with a larger tire - just use the original size so your speedo/odometer will register correctly. You'll also get better mileage and less wear on your drivetrain.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Mudding

Ha - I knew I would get that question from someone! I am actually going to "wrap" almost the entire truck with graphics for my company, and therefore, I am trying to get as much "eyeball" as possible. It's white with a full roof rack, brush guard with PIAA lights and rear ladder, and although it looks nice, I've seen a lot of pictures of you guys' lifted Disco's and that is so much of an approved look compared to the stance that it has now. So yes, it is mostly for looks....not in a "hey all my buddies have lifted trucks so I am too", but rather to draw attention to the truck and the company. My company is called SiteWhirks, and we're going to put on the sides (in military letters) WETCAT, which will stand for Website Emergency Tactical Customer Attention Team. So, you can kind of see where I'm going with this....planning on putting on a snorkel kit as well. I think I will get quite a few people stopping and asking about it, and we're going to pitch the fact that "we'll go through anything to hope our clients"....I know it sounds kinda corny, but we think it will work and be good for business.

That said, I did not think about the tire size / gas mileage issue. Will it be reduced dramatically? And, if I did lift the truck and stay with the stock tires, I assume it would look out of whack, correct?

Thank you all for your replies on this topic.
-Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
I'm partial to the Coopers, they're well made and reasonably priced ...check them out as they have several you might like.
I agree. Just bought new cooper discoverer H/T plus 255/5/18's and im very happy with them.There quiet on the highway and so far they do alright in muddy snow.They cost me $108 a tire plus a $40 dollar rebate for all four so for me the price was right.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Michelin LTX tires that are M&S that I have run on Jeeps in the past, and they do well in the snow and are quiet and have good tread life. They work very nice on my D2

Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blast20
Hi Guys,

I have an 01 Disco II, and will be putting an OME 2" suspension lift kit on in the next couple of weeks. That said, I want to upgrade the tires to a set of 265/75/16's, and I want an agressive look but will do mostly all road driving - it probably won't often go off-road. Can anyone give me any advice on good agressive-looking tires that will be comfortable on-road?

thanks- Steve
Who's lift will you be installing and what coils, by part number?
What state do you live in, if a drier state BFG AT"s look great but are not the best on snow and ice.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Mudding

Hi Mike,

I was planning on the standard duty Old Man Emu 2" lift kit for $700. Also thinking maybe the general grabbers would be a good option based on the reviews and how many people are using them. I live in VA and we get a decent amount of snow, but not a ton....that said, it does need to be able to go in the bad weather.

Also, Mike, I saw your post on another topic for the guy that bought an '04 D2 and you mentioned the driveshaft rebuild. Is my '01 ends showing signs (in the future) of a driveshaft-on-the-fritz, what symptoms should I be aware of?

BTW - you and I spoke about 2 months ago on the phone, as I was trying to diagnose "rough running" of my other 2000 Disco II that I had just gotten back from TideWater Rovers (in NC) who had installed a rebuilt motor for me, but I was still having issues. I'm still waiting to get that one back (they are working on it again - nice to deal with but keeping my fingers crossed) but then I ran across a good deal on the '01 SE7 that I just got last week. I don't have a ton of work to do to it, but a handful of things (MAF sensor, window regulator, heater blower resistor, plus some misc visual performance add-ons such as lift, tires, etc).

I figure between the 2, I should get one that I feel comfortable with!!

Thanks again,
-Steve

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blast20
Hi Mike,

I was planning on the standard duty Old Man Emu 2" lift kit for $700. Also thinking maybe the general grabbers would be a good option based on the reviews and how many people are using them. I live in VA and we get a decent amount of snow, but not a ton....that said, it does need to be able to go in the bad weather.

Also, Mike, I saw your post on another topic for the guy that bought an '04 D2 and you mentioned the driveshaft rebuild. Is my '01 ends showing signs (in the future) of a driveshaft-on-the-fritz, what symptoms should I be aware of?

BTW - you and I spoke about 2 months ago on the phone, as I was trying to diagnose "rough running" of my other 2000 Disco II that I had just gotten back from TideWater Rovers (in NC) who had installed a rebuilt motor for me, but I was still having issues. I'm still waiting to get that one back (they are working on it again - nice to deal with but keeping my fingers crossed) but then I ran across a good deal on the '01 SE7 that I just got last week. I don't have a ton of work to do to it, but a handful of things (MAF sensor, window regulator, heater blower resistor, plus some misc visual performance add-ons such as lift, tires, etc).

I figure between the 2, I should get one that I feel comfortable with!!

Thanks again,
-Steve
1: You can get the lift from Justin @ Lucky8 for about $600.

2: How many miles do the new "to you" D2 have on it? If over 50k you should just go ahead and have the front dshaft rebuilt at a minimum. Or call Tom Woods and get an upgraded DC shaft for about $400+ depending on what you order. Sometimes you will feel a vibration, or vibration above 60mph, or in many cases there is no warning signs and you are running on borrowed time. Either way fix this issue before you have to have a new tranny put in the truck. Being a 2 LR owner and having looked at this forum I am sure its safe to say you have read about the dshaft issue and know that this is a MUST to upgrade.

3: Look at Goodyear DuraTrac's for your rubber, they are pretty good in all conditions and not as noisy as other tires with a similar "aggressive look" that you are looking for.

4: Congrats on 2 Disco's - I too am looking for another one so I can have a road and an off-road.

Good Luck-

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

they aint cheap but if you just want the serious off road look with good road manageability toyo open country tires would be my vote... you may have to check sizing options though... or just get some 18's

Quick Reply: Tires - which 265/75/16 set ?