Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tom Woods rear shaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wait. Yours look different. The seal should go around the new flange. I'm puzzled.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cybercop
Also, the kit came with a differential spacer LR part#539745. Were does this go?

Lastly, the kit also came with 8 grade 8 bolts. 4 for the rear mount and 4 for the front, I'm guessing.

How the heck would I replace the front?

You would have to remove the bolts from the brake drum to replace them. I would not do that at all unless they are damaged, and I think that's the general guidance on my such things.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay I think we have the same setup but mine just came as one piece. I have the GBR kit. Yours just has the separate spacer and dust cover. Looking at mine I think (from front to back) it should be flange, ring, spacer, diff. But I'd like for someone else who has that setup to chime in unless it is super obvious to you how they go. I don't want to steer you wrong.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this what you are calling the "ring"?

If that is the case, then I am going to have to press it onto the flange before installation.

I am hoping someone that has done a Tom Woods will chime in. This is the STC3722 kit.

Funny, once I figure this one out, I'll be able to do another in about 40 minutes. Typical.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cybercop
Is this what you are calling the "ring"?

If that is the case, then I am going to have to press it onto the flange before installation.

I am hoping someone that has done a Tom Woods will chime in. This is the STC3722 kit.

Funny, once I figure this one out, I'll be able to do another in about 40 minutes. Typical.
Right that's what I thought about the timing too and I put this off for a year because I was afraid of removing the center peg!

Yes that's what I'm calling the ring.

But I could be wrong. That's just how it looks llike it would go together on mine. I'd be surprised if you would have to press parts together, though.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:51 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Take a look at this video:

Your two-piece set up (bearing + seal) appears to be shown as a one-piece in the video *starting at 4.05 min in the video).

Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by acg
Take a look at this video:

Land Rover 300tdi axle - Rear diff flange conversion kit STC 4858 - YouTube

Your two-piece set up (bearing + seal) appears to be shown as a one-piece in the video *starting at 4.05 min in the video).
Yeah, viewed that one several times. It seems that the flange used in the video had the "ring", or whatever it is called, already on the flange.

Maybe this "ring" is just a metal dust cover of some sort. It is really thin metal, hence why I am reluctant to just start pressing or beating it onto the flange.

I put the flange in the freezer overnight to see if I can get that "ring" to slide on easier. Then hopefully, the bolt will be long enough to grab and cinch it all together when I torque it.

Still don't see where the differential spacer goes!

UGHHHH!!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, found out that the official name for the "ring" is a slinger.

Talked to the guys at 4xshafts (Tom Woods) and they state that a lot of people don't put the slingers on since crude can get caught up in there and cause even more problems than leaving it off.

So first question, do you have to press the slinger onto the flange?
Second, any opinions on just leaving the slinger off?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, talked to John and David at The Shop (Great guys, highly recommend for the not so do it yourself jobs) and I was spot on. The Slinger needs to be tapped onto the flange.

Put the flange into the freezer (don't know if this really helped or not).

Then I took some assembly grease, put it on the collar of the flange, and then tapped the slinger on it.

Should be smooth sailing from here.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Glad you figured it out--both the name and the procedure. In the light of day it looks like my slinger was already pressed on.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Quick Reply: Tom Woods rear shaft installation