Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tornado air cleaning kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado air cleaning kit

Was wondering if anyone has tried the tornado air cleaning kit or something in its likeness, states up to 24 percent better mpg. tried giving the link but ends up a mile long.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: tornado air cleaning kit

Save your money, I have one and it never made any difference although in theory it sounds good.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. There are several different items on ebay that claim 30 something percent increase in MPG and increased horsepower. I'm not sure if it is the same thing but these slide in the pipe behind the air filter. Has anyone tried these?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling

I have seen these in the stores and have wondered about them as well. However, I have a difficult time believing their claims as they just seem too good to be true. It seems to me that with all of the MPG/emission regulations that the folks in DC have put on the car makers that if there were a miracle in a box available for a relatively low cost the manufacturers would have jumped on it. Doesn't seem to be the case.

I could very well be wrong as my automotive knowledge is small compared to many here, but if adding a $60 gismo really gets you 24% more MPG, or 3 MPG more if you are currently at 13 MPG like me, then one would think that Detroit, Japan, Europe, etc. would be installing the gismo from the factory just for advertising purposes.

Just my thoughts.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These gimics claim to "swirl" the air in the airintake tubing, well that is all well and good until the air gets to the intake plenum and manifold and ulitmatly the intake valves. Well guess what, once that "swirling" air gets to an obstruction what happens? It stops swirling.
Air moves like water, it flows freely until it hits something, like a intake mainfold.
Driving down the road there is very little forced air coming into the airbox, the engine sucks in the sir it needs and unles you are turning over 4,000 rpm you are not sucking very much air.
The only way to force more air into a engine is with a turbo or supercharger, naturally asperated engines just dont pull that much air unless they are extremly big bore, like the diesel engine on a container ship. The diesel engines on a WWII submarine would suck the air out of the crews lungs in less than 2 min if all the hatches were closed. But those are big displacment 1200 hp in-line 8 cylinder engines.
Sorry, ran off there, dont waste your money, if it worked it would be OE.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM
TReK

Someone needs to buy one and see if it does work,, what do they cost $30-$40 bucks?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Save your money, I have one and it never made any difference although in theory it sounds good.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Are you still using it??

Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I tried one on a 94 FJ 80. It made no difference that I could tell.

Mike

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I still have it stuffed in my air intake hose, to lazy to take it out.

Quick Reply: tornado air cleaning kit