Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter seal???? help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter seal???? help!

Driving my 1999 disco 1 SD about 65mph I started to notice a loss of power in the trans. I pulled over to notice all my tranny fluid pouring and dripping down through the coverplate where the tranny meets the bell housing or plate. any ideas....the rig will still move but barely...... any thoughts. Im thinking torque converter seal? i'm way bummed!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well based on what you describe I would lean toward the seal around the torque convertor. The good news is that they are cheap, the bad is that you need to pull the tranny back to get to it and will take a couple of hours. If you are handy I would order the seal and start taking it apart, it is not that hard but like I said just time consuming. I had it happen on my 95 so I am familiar with it quite a bit, if you need help PM your number and I will help walk you through.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Thanks HR...
I am quite handy too. I am presently in Utah and will be driving my fj60 to Alaska on the 28th. I'm headin up through Kings Gate...via ...Sand Point.
The rig is in Alaska and I havent touch it since it happened last September. Ill pick up a seal and give you a ring when I get to Alaska, if you PM me your number too. Ill send mine now. Thanks again for the offer. Im really a land cruiser buff but we own 3 rovers too. I love them as well. I use them for guide rigs. they tow our drift boats for guided fishing. Great rig for the clients too.
Talk soon.
Tom

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

It may seem like a daunting task, but it really isn't that difficult when you break it down to individual tasks...

1) disconnect driveshafts
2) disconnect all linkages, electrical connectors, and coolant lines
3) remove crossmember
4) drain trans and transfer case fluids
5) remove transfer case
6) remove transmission front cover
7) remove torque converter to flexplate fasteners (remove one and rotate engine until the next one becomes visible
8) remove trans to engine fasteners and drop trans
9) Un-F the seal and put it back together
10) move on to fixing whatever else broke the second you started the car

Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Perfect!
a numerical list of what to do.

I am a bit confused by number 10 though. Are you $crewing with me..... or a bit of sarcasm in there......LOL.
Im sure it will be a snap.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fj60disco
Thanks HR...
I am quite handy too. I am presently in Utah and will be driving my fj60 to Alaska on the 28th. I'm headin up through Kings Gate...via ...Sand Point.
The rig is in Alaska and I havent touch it since it happened last September. Ill pick up a seal and give you a ring when I get to Alaska, if you PM me your number too. Ill send mine now. Thanks again for the offer. Im really a land cruiser buff but we own 3 rovers too. I love them as well. I use them for guide rigs. they tow our drift boats for guided fishing. Great rig for the clients too.
Talk soon.
Tom
That is funny, I sold my 94 to fly fishing guide last year, just saw it on the freeway the other day too. If you are going through Sandpoint you are going to drive right past me, unfortunately I think I will be in CA then. I will PM my number, you should not need to drain the TC fluid but I guess if it has not been done in a while it would not hurt to do it.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by fj60disco
Perfect!
a numerical list of what to do.

I am a bit confused by number 10 though. Are you $crewing with me..... or a bit of sarcasm in there......LOL.
Im sure it will be a snap.
I don't even know myself if I am screwing with you

It seems like every time I fix something, something else needs my attention. Maybe it's just an accumulation of things that needed attention before that I'm just now noticing. I am learning that Land Rover's reputation of being the least reliable car in the world was one they earned.