Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Torque Converter Shot?? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/torque-converter-shot-74730/)

coors 07-21-2015 06:22 AM

Torque Converter Shot??

After I wrecked my DII, to clear it from the scene, the tow truck operator decided to drag it up the flat bed while still in park!! In his defense it only had three and a half wheels.

I didn't realize it was happening at the moment, because I had just smashed my face into the A-pillar and cracked a couple ribs (thanks seat belt) :cool:

This past Saturday went to pull it into my shop to begin tearing it down - the damn thing wouldn't budge. I had the pedal to the floor and nothing. Dropped it into low and locked the center diff and was able to move under its own power.

Do you think the TC is shot? What would cause the trans to behave this way? My first thought was low Tranny fluid, but there was no signs of leakage and once I placed it into low - she moved fine.

I was hoping to keep the Trans as a spare but Would like to know if it's good or not. I'm leaning towards bad TC? Thoughts?

disc oh no 07-21-2015 06:38 PM

Is the transfer case linkage bent possibly? I guess it's possible, might be worth checking. Maybe get under the truck (should be fun with broken ribs!) and have someone move the TC shifter from Low to High?

I would think, if anything, the parking pin would be the weak link if dragged in park. I don't know for sure though.

coors 07-21-2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by disc oh no (Post 527803)
Is the transfer case linkage bent possibly? I guess it's possible, might be worth checking. Maybe get under the truck (should be fun with broken ribs!) and have someone move the TC shifter from Low to High?

I would think, if anything, the parking pin would be the weak link if dragged in park. I don't know for sure though.

Just to clarify, by TC I mean Torque Converter.

Nah, the transfer case linkage operates fluidly. Shifts smoothly into Low and Lock position.

dusty1 07-22-2015 08:23 AM

Is the oil pumping? You could Check the transmission fluid while it's running see if it just falls out if it's actually pumping .
Mine was acting stupid like that when the fluid pump went out in the tranny

disc oh no 07-24-2015 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by coors (Post 527826)
Just to clarify, by TC I mean Torque Converter.

Nah, the transfer case linkage operates fluidly. Shifts smoothly into Low and Lock position.

Yes, I knew you were talking about the torque converter. I thought you were saying you put the transfer case in low. That's where the confusion came from. Is there any chance the transmission wiring harness was damaged? It may be mechanically putting it in gear, but not getting power or ground to the Drive solenoid. Something to check I guess...

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out and it doesn't end up being a massive p.i.t.a.

coors 07-24-2015 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by disc oh no (Post 528048)
Yes, I knew you were talking about the torque converter. I thought you were saying you put the transfer case in low. That's where the confusion came from. Is there any chance the transmission wiring harness was damaged? It may be mechanically putting it in gear, but not getting power or ground to the Drive solenoid. Something to check I guess...

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out and it doesn't end up being a massive p.i.t.a.

Yes, I did put it into low gear.

Wait a second. I think you're on to something...

Rover did have a dead battery. I had to jump it to get her going. I wonder if that is the issue??

Also, received a code for low power to ECU: P0562 - System Voltage Low and the M&S were flashing.

disc oh no 07-24-2015 05:27 PM

Rover's seem to do some really weird things when the voltage gets low. Hopefully that's all it is. Did it sit for a long time after the accident?