Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Shot??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Torque Converter Shot??

After I wrecked my DII, to clear it from the scene, the tow truck operator decided to drag it up the flat bed while still in park!! In his defense it only had three and a half wheels.

I didn't realize it was happening at the moment, because I had just smashed my face into the A-pillar and cracked a couple ribs (thanks seat belt)

This past Saturday went to pull it into my shop to begin tearing it down - the damn thing wouldn't budge. I had the pedal to the floor and nothing. Dropped it into low and locked the center diff and was able to move under its own power.

Do you think the TC is shot? What would cause the trans to behave this way? My first thought was low Tranny fluid, but there was no signs of leakage and once I placed it into low - she moved fine.

I was hoping to keep the Trans as a spare but Would like to know if it's good or not. I'm leaning towards bad TC? Thoughts?

Last edited by coors; 07-21-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Is the transfer case linkage bent possibly? I guess it's possible, might be worth checking. Maybe get under the truck (should be fun with broken ribs!) and have someone move the TC shifter from Low to High?

I would think, if anything, the parking pin would be the weak link if dragged in park. I don't know for sure though.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Is the transfer case linkage bent possibly? I guess it's possible, might be worth checking. Maybe get under the truck (should be fun with broken ribs!) and have someone move the TC shifter from Low to High?

I would think, if anything, the parking pin would be the weak link if dragged in park. I don't know for sure though.
Just to clarify, by TC I mean Torque Converter.

Nah, the transfer case linkage operates fluidly. Shifts smoothly into Low and Lock position.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Is the oil pumping? You could Check the transmission fluid while it's running see if it just falls out if it's actually pumping .
Mine was acting stupid like that when the fluid pump went out in the tranny

Old 07-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by coors
Just to clarify, by TC I mean Torque Converter.

Nah, the transfer case linkage operates fluidly. Shifts smoothly into Low and Lock position.
Yes, I knew you were talking about the torque converter. I thought you were saying you put the transfer case in low. That's where the confusion came from. Is there any chance the transmission wiring harness was damaged? It may be mechanically putting it in gear, but not getting power or ground to the Drive solenoid. Something to check I guess...

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out and it doesn't end up being a massive p.i.t.a.

Last edited by disc oh no; 07-24-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Yes, I knew you were talking about the torque converter. I thought you were saying you put the transfer case in low. That's where the confusion came from. Is there any chance the transmission wiring harness was damaged? It may be mechanically putting it in gear, but not getting power or ground to the Drive solenoid. Something to check I guess...

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out and it doesn't end up being a massive p.i.t.a.
Yes, I did put it into low gear.

Wait a second. I think you're on to something...

Rover did have a dead battery. I had to jump it to get her going. I wonder if that is the issue??

Also, received a code for low power to ECU: P0562 - System Voltage Low and the M&S were flashing.

Last edited by coors; 07-24-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Rover's seem to do some really weird things when the voltage gets low. Hopefully that's all it is. Did it sit for a long time after the accident?