Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tow package cost advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow package cost advice

Hi guys,

This is my first post after buying my first D2 this week (2004 SE). I have bought the car primarily to tow my track car to and from the track. It already has the class 3 hitch bar so I got a quote from u haul for supply and fitment of a hitch ball, brake controller, light connecters and labour of $525 ll in. Is this a reasonable cost

PS I did a search already!

PPS first impression of the truck is that I love it!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: tow package cost advice

ORIGINAL: DanR

Hi guys,

This is my first post after buying my first D2 this week (2004 SE). I have bought the car primarily to tow my track car to and from the track. It already has the class 3 hitch bar so I got a quote from u haul for supply and fitment of a hitch ball, brake controller, light connecters and labour of $525 ll in. Is this a reasonable cost

PS I did a search already!

PPS first impression of the truck is that I love it!
Welcome to the joy and wonder of a landy D2. Nothing else quite like it.

You can sum the cost of parts yourself, either from uhaul or elsewhere, and then figure $65/hr for semi-skilled labor for a couple of hours to install. You could save a few bucks maybe by doingthe install yourselfand sleep well with the knowledge of knowing exactly what went where. Weigh those savings/knowledge of the job done right against the value of your lost day to install it, a warranty (1 short yr), and wondering if the semi-skilled labor wasn;t actually a couple of high shool kids pounding wrenchesand cutting wires underneath your truck.

If you are towing long distances, up hills, or a lot of wieght-pay attention tooil/coolant levels and the drive train service-the slip joints,u joints on all shafts (especially the double-cardon on the front prop shaft) as well as thetransfer case anddiff gear lubes. The drive train is subject to wear that produces odd clunking noises, and a potentially disasterous failure of the cardon joint. All part of the lore of driving a D2. Enjoy!

________
Bmw Sauber F1.08

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dan, I have one concern, U-Haul normally won't install the proper power convertor required by a Rover to drive your trailor lights.
I would rather see you buy the ball and tongue required for your trailer, then go to either Rover Connection or Atlantic British and buy the proper plug and play wire harness convertor. Once you have done that, it has been my experience that a good trailer shop will give you a much better selection of brake control units and do a better job installing them.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with Mike 100% on this one, U-Haul wont have what you need for trailer lighting.
DO NOT let them cut up your wiring when you can buy a plug-n-play trailer harness.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling

When I bought my Discovery II it had a aftermarket reciever hitch on it. It looked bad and hung down to low and hit everything when offroading. I torched it off and installed a good used factory hitch from ebay. I did see this used factory wiring harness on ebay.

Willie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 12-20-2008, 09:48 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be mistaken but that appears to be the "european" 7-pin trailer wiring harness. As I was informed it is not the same that we use here in the states and has no pin for brake signal from the controller. It has pins for backup lights and rear fog lights.

European 7-pin connector per Rave:
Pin1: FOG LIGHTS
Pin2: EARTH
Pin3: RH DIRECTION INDICATORS/HAZARDS
Pin4: RH TAIL LIGHT
Pin5: BRAKE LIGHT
Pin6: LH DIRECTION INDICATORS/HAZARDS
Pin7: NO PLATE/ LH TAIL LIGHT

Definitely not the same as the typical 7-pin RV plug that is most commonly used for trailers with brakes.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 what AK said..that looks like a euro 7-pin NOT american...make sure you get the correct plug.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Overlanding

thanks guys, doe sanyone have the product number for the plug and play unit from british atlantic?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Overlanding

ok found the part ( 9439C - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9439C.cfm) and also did a search. I assume I fit this std 4 pin but how do I then use a std 7 pin US RV connector? Is there another conversion part? I just want to ensure I order the correct items

thanks for your patience but new to this

Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes there is a convertor to plug your 7-round into a flat four.
I have one somewhere in the garage, you wont have trailer brakes but you cna plug the trailer in.

Quick Reply: tow package cost advice