Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing...

So I did a search and found that I should buy the wiring kit from roverparts.com so I can hook up lights. Forgive me for being a such a girl but, what do I need in terms of a hitch and stuff? I see trailer *****, pins, clips, etc...

All I have the capability of towing (a towing package, right?)...I just need one of the ball things...and um, one of the things the ball thing goes into (ballmount?)...good grief.

What are pins and clips for? I'm seriously flying on no knowledge. I have to go get the furniture my ex-husband left in our condo down in Tucson. It's $700 to rent a budget truck to drive down and back! I figure I can tow it all with my Disco.

I have a couch, a love seat, a dining room table and chairs, a futon, an entertainment system, bed frame, box springs, a mattress, and TV.
TV can go in my vehicle, and the chairs might fit too...but the rest need to go on a trailer of sorts. Contemplating leaving the dining room set, especially if I can't fit it, but I really need the bed stuff, couches, and the entertainment system would be nice.

Thanks in advance...sorry for the girlie ignorance...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Towing...

Here you go Annie, everything you need.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9445D2.cfm
And you can do it yourself, even though you are a girl.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

annie, if it's just the one trip and you can make it while it's daylight outside you might be able to get away without hooking up the lights. you can pick up what you need at any wal-mart. I've seen a kit at wal-mart for about $25.

ball mount (square metal tube that fits in the back of your rover)
ball (make sure you get the right size for your trailer..2 common sizes 1-7/8" and 2")
hitch pin (metal pin that keeps the ball mount from sliding out of the receiver)

what size trailer do you plan on pulling?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Mudding

I'm not sure on the size...honestly whatever large utility trailer I can get at this point. I thought I'd just do a u-haul one, but I have to drive 30 some odd miles out of the way to pick one up (No u-haul near me).

I'm going to have to start calling around to figure out who has one large enough.

The drive to and from Tucson is over 500 miles...I could probably do it during daylight hours, but that's not accounting for the hell that is traffic in Phoenix.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is NO WAY you can drive 500 miles AND load the trailer in one day, take it from atruck driver, it cant be done unless you are driving 85 mph the whole time.
Do yourself a favor and go online and find a U-Haul near where you will be picking up your stuff, dont tow it both ways. Rent it for a one way trip.
Get a 6X10 utility trailer, you will have plenty of room, you can put the breakables inside your Rover. It will take a 2" ball.
It is going to take you 4 hours (250 miles)to drive back with the loaded trailer.
Make sure you put your transmission gear selector in "3rd" when you are pulling the loaded trailer and drive no faster than 65 mph.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Mudding

I think I'm screwed. If I were to rent a uhaul trailer...the EMPTY weight of the trailer exceeds the maximum permissible towed weights in my owner's manual (empty =1800 lbs...owner's manual says 1650 is the max.).

Do I need to get trailer brakes? I have never towed anything in my life.

Should I just spend the money and rent a damn truck?!?!?

Argh.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the Discos...but I find it hard to believe these trucks cant even tow 1 ton..my Blazer can tow 4800....

And you don't need brakes. Just leave plenty of following distance. Also if the trailer gets real loaded down, watch out for braking in corners...the trailer can try to get away from you if its heavy enough.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone on here live close enough to give her a hand??
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Brakes are needed if you estimate your weight over 3000lbs....

I tow a 26 foot travel trailer (5500lbs) and just for ****s and giggles, I disengaged the trailer brakes and went for a test tow around the neighborhood... It wasn't fun... and I was in "L"...

I would just rent a u-haul truck if you aren't up to installing the wiring kit and brake controller lines...

The Disco. tows great, as long as you are properly set-up!

Jonathan

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Mudding

The trailer I'd tow has automatic hydraulic surge brakes.

What do I need to fit it to my Disco?

Truck = $800 to rent round trip. Plus I'd have to fill up the gas tank at least twice...and fill it up to leave it at the drop off location This will be over $1000 for me.

Trailer = $149 for tow kit plus $133 for trailer for three days.

Doin' it myself will be cheaper...plus any unused gas on this trip goes back to ME and not Budget or U-haul.

I can't really afford to rent a truck now that I actually run the numbers.

Quick Reply: Towing...