Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah I don't jive with that logic though. I auto-crossed a full size ford pickup. I won an award for fastest full size pickup that day. Noone on earth would agree with the notion that my pickup was good at auto-cross, and I would never make that statement.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Well then I'll just rack that up to more poor decision making on the part of LR. Nothing on the vehicle is adequately built for towing 7700lb for any period osf time. Weak power, weak flywheel, weak driveshafts, weak ring gears, weak axle shafts, weak diffs, weak brakes, weak cooling system.... A full size truck should be more than capable of towing that much weight comfortably at 80mph without any steering issues and without having to downshift at the lightest road grade.

now, I'm not saying it wont do it. Obviously it will. but it does it poorly and anyone that tows that kind of weight regularly is asking for major component failure, or at the very least rapid breakdown of wear items.
This guy nailed it.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

In America...it's the rover that "gets" towed...lol.

Could not in my wildest dreams ever imagine towing something a great distance (over fifty miles, especially on the expressway) with one of our rovers, period. These things are so under powered, compared too tow vehicles here in the states.

But, to give them a chance at proving me wrong...I'll hook the 03 to the car trailer today and take her for a spin...if she gets out of her own way...maybe I'll add the other rover to the trailer. Test results and pictures will be posted later today.

Brian.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
In America...it's the rover that "gets" towed...lol.

Could not in my wildest dreams ever imagine towing something a great distance (over fifty miles, especially on the expressway) with one of our rovers, period. These things are so under powered, compared too tow vehicles here in the states.

But, to give them a chance at proving me wrong...I'll hook the 03 to the car trailer today and take her for a spin...if she gets out of her own way...maybe I'll add the other rover to the trailer. Test results and pictures will be posted later today.

Brian.
I anticipate pictures of a rover sitting on the back axle and tales of acceleration fit only for a slug lol.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Default Highly Scientific Research and Synopsis.

Tow vehicle:

2003 LR Discovery ll
4.6, 217hp@4750rpm, 300torque@2600rpm
Weight @4576# + 155# (full fuel tank)
Total weight @4731

Trailer and vehicle:

2017 Car Hauler Trailer, 2001 LR Discovery ll
Trailer wt. @2100#, LR Dll wt. @4576# +155# (full fuel tank), Hold down straps and accessories wt.@40#
Total weight @6871

Drivers credentials:

Driven every shape and size vehicle over the years (42 years), 18 wheelers, straight trucks, buses, sports cars, 4X4's (Toyota, Jeep, Chev's and Ford), motorcycles, rode motocross for years in my youth, hauled several trailers (single, tandem, triples, multiple and farm wagons)...and have done some pretty stupid stuff along the way...so, I know the meaning of dangerous.

Pictures:

Loaded. Picture was taken after driving ten miles, so suspension is settled to point of determined height.

Makes changing front tires extremely easy.

Off-loading makes changing rear tires easy. As you can see, the front of my 01 is still on the trailer, when the weight was primarily on ramps and hit with enough speed to go up the ramps (while loading)...I swear the 03's rear axle left the ground.

Drive ability:

55mph or below...butt hole only puckered some.
70mph or above...butt hole could cut steel rod.

Definitely felt as though the tail was wagging the dog, while at any speed. And the thought of having to make some sort of evasive move...wasn't pleasant. The short wheel-base was not conducive to hauling in my opinion.

Brian.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Side Note...all research was done at 19 degrees with a 18 mph wind. So, you guys and gals better appreciate this...lol.

Now, I'm heading out to clean up leaves.

Brian.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian,

The crucial piece you’re missing is a weight distribution hitch to put some of that weight back into the front of the truck.

You were at close to max that the D2 is rated at, but probably double or triple the max tongue weight.

Great post, none-the-less.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by attworth
Brian,

The crucial piece you’re missing is a weight distribution hitch to put some of that weight back into the front of the truck.

You were at close to max that the D2 is rated at, but probably double or triple the max tongue weight.

Great post, none-the-less.
Yes, I don't have, or need, a weight distributing hitch for the Silverado 1500...and I wasn't buying one for this research...lol.

But all joking aside. Yes, the weight distributing hitch thingy would have help spread out the load and increased handling. However, even with that...I missed not having a trailer package button on the dash, which changes shift points while hauling. Twice during the ride...as it hunted for the right gear...l felt my hand searching the dash for a button to hit...lol. Truth be told, the engine seemed somewhat adequate...when it was in its wheel-house of powerband. However, this test was done on an absolutely flat surface...and I could see this thing really, really struggling in grades of any kind.

Probably if our 03 still had its air suspension, or maybe came equipped with the enhanced suspension assist, it may handle the whole hauling issue better.

Anyhow, it was just a small sample of a Dll hauling capabilities. Granted, I tried hooking it to my wife's horse trailer...but the receiver was to high.

I guess, if this were a persons only vehicle, capable of pulling a trailer, I'd say...go slow, watch your distances, pray on occasion and have plenty of auto/medical/life insurance...lol.

Brian.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy

For chits and giggles...I did drive the 01 all the way to the front of the trailer, where it put a considerable amount of weight on the tow vehicle...and was going to take a picture then...with its butt on the ground...but didn't...in fear of my wife seeing it here. If that happened...then "I'd be the one" in need of better medical/life insurance...lol.

Brian.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

One word, ya need air, SLS.

or maybe bigger 'gonads' eh

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 11-11-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Disco II